Part of the IFC-information

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
doubters

Part of the IFC-information

Post by doubters »

I can see all the IFC information about an object with SpreadSheet and the =Structure.IfcProperties command. Is it possible to display data only for a certain characteristic?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30121 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9c929897ac46f2309e2bf34b7106f49fcb737a1d
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/English (en_EN)
Installed mods: 
  * Reporting
  * A2plus 0.4.56a
  * fasteners 0.4.2
  * Woodworking 0.20.29177
  * dodo
  * POV-Ray-Rendering
  * sheetmetal 0.2.56
  * FreeCAD_assembly3 0.11.3
  * ArchTextures
  * FreeCAD_PartsToolbox-main
  * BOLTSFC
Attachments
1.png
1.png (156.86 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
2.png
2.png (114.01 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
3.png
3.png (161.75 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Part of the IFC-information

Post by yorik »

At the moment no, but I have in mind to refactor the IfcProperties system entirely, so each Ifc property would become an actual FreeCAD object property. That would make things much more flexible for users, and would also solve this issue..
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:12 am ...
that sounds like a lot of work. i have heard from many architects that they don't feel responsible for ifc attributes. if others do it, e.g. without cad knowledge, others will use simple ifc programs that can only input attributes. then all the work would be in vain
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed, myself I frankly never use psets. I could never understand how the overweight caused by duplicating a same pset hundred times for each element is beneficial...

However, that might be the problem, exactly: Since these psets are a huge, bulky monster, nobody uses them. Some people, however, would like a handy manner to add some custom properties to their objects, and that these properties would be exported to IFC. And that looks useful to me. A simple example, you would want a concrete element to have a "Chamfer" property, and would like that property to be in the IFC file.

Maybe what we need is a combination of both systems: psets keep using the same system as we have now, so they are basically "invisible", but you would be able to add custom IFC properties to your objects. Maybe we could have a simple system, such as "every property name with start with Ifc is exported" or maybe better, "each property group that starts with Ifc is exported as a pset". On import, we could also detect these special psets and map them to FreeCAD properties..

How does that sound?
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:43 am ..

that sounds good. simple is better

doubters

Post by doubters »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:12 am At the moment no, but I have in mind to refactor the IfcProperties system entirely, so each Ifc property would become an actual FreeCAD object property. That would make things much more flexible for users, and would also solve this issue..
That would be just wonderful! This feature is a big step towards using the program in professional environments. The more information you can take from the project, the more automation you can achieve in production.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:43 am Indeed, myself I frankly never use psets. I could never understand how the overweight caused by duplicating a same pset hundred times for each element is beneficial...

However, that might be the problem, exactly: Since these psets are a huge, bulky monster, nobody uses them. Some people, however, would like a handy manner to add some custom properties to their objects, and that these properties would be exported to IFC. And that looks useful to me. A simple example, you would want a concrete element to have a "Chamfer" property, and would like that property to be in the IFC file.
Maybe for each discipline, like architectural, people can discuss the most commonly used attributes and put it in the data tab, which may or may not have equivalent in IFC ?, otherwise it is like search in a list of tens or even more is waste of time.

(E.g. I almost gave in immediately when I click the IfcType of the BuildingPart / Floor :lol: )

- Floor Finishes
- Wall Finishes (maybe for each wall surface)
- Ceiling Finishes
- Door Material / Finishes
- Window glass materials / type
- Window frame materials

I also wonder if the thickness of the finishes needs to be modelled - kind of waste of lots of time to do this ?

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

paullee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:11 am I also wonder if the thickness of the finishes needs to be modelled - kind of waste of lots of time to do this ?
I always aks myself the same question... Sometimes I start modeling it all, then I undo it because I see no benefit...
doubters

Post by doubters »

paullee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:11 am Maybe for each discipline, like architectural, people can discuss the most commonly used attributes and put it in the data tab, which may or may not have equivalent in IFC ?
I think the solution to the problem is to simply make the field output from the IFC properties customizable. Then everyone will be able to display exactly what he needs.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

doubters wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:11 am ....
that sounds good. is something easy (with little work) to do?