[Tracking] Backport commits to 0.20 branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [Tracking] Backport commits to 0.20 branch

Post by uwestoehr »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:34 pm Misnaming an exe file is very, very bad practice.

A common method for distribution of malware.
I thought the content is important. the installer is technically a self-extracting ZIP file therefore I saw no problem in renaming it.

When I use 7-zip to recreate a ZIP, it is always at least 54 MB larger. And I don't see the benefit.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:26 pm When I use 7-zip to recreate a ZIP, it is always at least 54 MB larger. And I don't see the benefit.
I am not suggesting there is any benefit, but it is not a good idea to mis-name an exe file.

Cannot it just be listed directly as an exe file?

Gene
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Double clicking an EXE or a ZIP has a different result on my system. I suppose the same applies to other operating systems. Note that I cannot open the EXE as a ZIP anyway. And what about the users who download both files only to find out that they are binary copies?

This just needs to be fixed.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 am This just needs to be fixed.
Done now. Please test.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:23 pm
Both the exe and the zip appear to work fine.

Thanks!

Gene
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Thank you!
savyzzyz

Post by savyzzyz »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:23 pm
Roy_043 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 am This just needs to be fixed.
Done now. Please test.
I use the "scoop" package manager to install/update FreeCAD and it recently broke due to a change in the ZIP folder structure. It used to be that the portable ZIP had all the program subfolders in the root, but now the ZIP has a single "FreeCAD-portable" folder which has the subfolders within it.

Was this change intentional? I have submitted a fix for the scoop manifest but wonder if you can just change the portable ZIP format back to the way it was for all previous releases?

Many thanks, Kris
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

savyzzyz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:30 am It used to be that the portable ZIP had all the program subfolders in the root, but now the ZIP has a single "FreeCAD-portable" folder which has the subfolders within it.
Was this change intentional?
Thanks for the report. Yes, this change was intentional because I got the following feedback a while ago:
- people unzipped the ZIP file in e.g. their download folder.
- the result was that the FreeCAD.exe etc. were all directly in the download folder and this causes troubles because it was then not easily possible to transfer the FreeCAD files to another location but this is the idea of "portable".

Therefore there is now a main folder so that even when people unzip it to their download folder or USB stick, then get all files in this folder as result and can the easily move this folder.

I thought I did so already for the 0.20.1 ZIP file, but I see now I did not. So there was no special info from me about this change. I can add this the the release notes. Should I?
savyzzyz

Post by savyzzyz »

Thanks for the clarification, it makes perfect sense. My PR to fix the scoop manifest has been merged and all is working again.

You may want to mention it in the release notes but it's unlikely to be an issue except for automated tools and package managers such as scoop and chocolatey.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »