ExtremeProDark

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pathfinder

Re: ExtremeProDark

Post by pathfinder »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:04 pm their positions are not fixed, they can be docked anywhere.
Yes, but the user put them there and knows where which one is supposed to be. I don't see much functional value in having them be different colors.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

agreed
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

One is an input field the other only output. And to keep contiguity in the color scheme they should be different colors.
I'll try something based on the feedback here, thanks!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:41 am One is an input field the other only output. And to keep contiguity in the color scheme they should be different colors.
why though? the panels have titles, and they are easily distinguished by their contents at a glance, even if they are cleared. The text colors and format provide enough distinction already IMO.
Captura de pantalla 2022-10-25 101942.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-10-25 101942.png (21.6 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
Captura de pantalla 2022-10-25 101726.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-10-25 101726.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Uniformity and setting user expectations. No where in the title it says it's an input field, you know that from experience.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't think that can be properly communicated through colors either, "Report view" communicates through it's name very clearly that it's output, "Python console" also communicates that it's input to anyone that has enough knowledge to actually make use of it, the cursor on it also helps. But in any case I reiterate:
adrianinsaval wrote:At most the python console could be dark, but i wouldn't go with plain black but some shade of grey.
perhaps mixed a little with the highlight color
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:49 pm I don't think that can be properly communicated through colors either, "Report view" communicates through it's name very clearly that it's output, "Python console" also communicates that it's input to anyone that has enough knowledge to actually make use of it, the cursor on it also helps.
I like your optimism that you think people still read stuff :D
I changed it too this.
and
Note sure why report text is gray tho....
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

those are colors that are controlled by preferences not stylesheet
MisterMaker wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:20 pm I like your optimism that you think people still read stuff
well I would hope that someones who intends to write python commands would know how to read :lol: the python console is not shown by default anyways, the user has to right click and on the toolbar an enable it, and it's a little extreme to not read the name on the context menu.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Previous discussion notwithstanding, I think the colors that @MisterMaker is demoing for those two windows look good (except of course for the very light log-level text in the light mode report view). I don't think the separate colors are overly garish or anything, so I'd say that if he thinks that's the way to go, let's roll with it.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I fixed the text color.
But I also made a Github issue since I couldn't find it, because it is called "Output window" instead of "Report view".
Maybe because if you put an output window somewhere else in an addon that it uses that colors, but I kinda don't think that matters to the end users.
I feel the settings and the window should be called the same.
Blender has "Info" as name but the cfg has it called "Outputwindow" and people are used to Report view.
So for uniformity and keeping it with the parameter in the cfg it should be called "Output Window".
Not sure how many "Report View" fans there are but the road with the least amount of resistance is probably calling it "Report View" in the settings.
Although the more nicer name is just "Info" since that is what it does, and why users would need it.