Section view hatch without a rib

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RedBaron

Re: Section view hatch without a rib

Post by RedBaron »

@NewJoker
Can you please share your Sketch and a little description of the
necessary Steps to geht the Result ?
Thank you in advance

RedBaron
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

RedBaron wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:33 am Can you please share your Sketch and a little description of the
necessary Steps to geht the Result ?
Sure, here's the file:

Clothes hanger body new fixed.FCStd
(638.32 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

And here's a summary of the required steps (I also added their more general version on the Workarounds page):
1. Use the Part SectionCut tool to cut the part in the same way as it would be done by the section view tool.
2. Use the Draft Shape2DView tool to create a 2D line representation of the section view.
3. Use the Drafting tools with proper snaps to modify the section view (here I had to add lines separating the rib from the rest of the section view).
4. Use the Draft Draft2Sketch tool to create a sketch out of the Draft objects.
5. Use the Sketcher ValidateSketch tool to make sure that the sketch has no missing coincidences, doubled lines and so on (those issues may impact the face selection in TechDraw as it was here) and fix them.
6. Use the TechDraw View tool to create a view of the sketch in TechDraw.
7. Hatch the selected faces.
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

As a side note, it is very common for professional CAD users to disregard a lot of the required details specified in these standards and textbooks because it is often a lot of extra work for very little benefit. Unless you need it for school or your work otherwise requires perfect drawings for some reason, I don't think this is an important thing to pay attention to. The primary purpose of drawings is to convey information and I think a top view with a section line and a fully hatched section view says enough for anyone to understand, unless they are acting stupid.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:39 am As a side note, it is very common for professional CAD users to disregard a lot of the required details specified in these standards and textbooks because it is often a lot of extra work for very little benefit. Unless you need it for school or your work otherwise requires perfect drawings for some reason, I don't think this is an important thing to pay attention to. The primary purpose of drawings is to convey information and I think a top view with a section line and a fully hatched section view says enough for anyone to understand, unless they are acting stupid.
I second that. I have allways cut through ribs, too and never had complaints about it.
In fact I have learned through this thread that I have ignored this important rule for more than 30 years now. :lol:

But if it is standard and easy to implement, why not?..
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!

.... more than 30, but also more than 40 or 50, ago, but even today, the technical report could also be paginated like this.
What SolidWorks does as quoted by @NewJoker, could be achieved in TechDraw if a specific function were created in "Part design" and in "Part" for automated modeling of ribs, so that TechDraw "knows" that that is a rib and as such it should be represented, in a section, without background or hatch.
In any case, almost all representations of technical documents require to be refined manually, for this reason the "Extensions" functions have been created.
Attachments
Clothes hanger support.FCStd
(437.37 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Clothes hanger support.png
Clothes hanger support.png (159.43 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

domad wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:05 am What SolidWorks does as quoted by @NewJoker, could be achieved in TechDraw if a specific function were created in "Part design" and in "Part" for automated modeling of ribs, so that TechDraw "knows" that that is a rib and as such it should be represented, in a section, without background or hatch.
Yes, that would be another important advantage of the rib tool - not only creating these structures automatically but also recognizing them and excluding from hatching in TechDraw.

For now, there's a request for this tool but it caused somewhat off-topic discussions: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71385

domad wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:05 am In any case, almost all representations of technical documents require to be refined manually, for this reason the "Extensions" functions have been created.
Yes, they are very helpful but what is often missing is a possibility to sketch in TechDraw and modify TechDraw views using sketching tools. Fortunately, it can be done with a workaround shown here. Your example with broken out section also shows it nicely. But it seems that it was created differently than in my case. Can you list the steps and tools used to achieve this ?
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:43 am ......
But it seems that it was created differently than in my case. Can you list the steps and tools used to achieve this ?
Hello NewJoker, hello to the Community!

The technique is the one you described in the previous replicas: two sections are created (in this case) with Wb "Part" -> "Cross-sections" one in the center, the other positioned appropriately in order to have the complete profile of attachment of the rib to the orthogonal face, one passes to the "Draft" workbench, the second section after having "Downgrade" it, all lines and arcs (edges) are eliminated except, as mentioned, those of the rib attachment.
Bring the first section and what remains of the second section on the same plane, add the missing lines, then convert it to Sketch with the "Draft to Sketch" function.
Open the Sketch with the "Sketcher" workbench and add the B-spline for the "detailed" section, then check the Sketch with the "Validate Sketch" function fixing the missing coincidences.
The last step is to select the Sketch and create the view in TechDraw, adding all the "cosmetic" objects, dimensions, backgrounds, etc. and hiding all paths or lines that are useless for the purposes of the elaborate.
I hope the translation has come out clear enough.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

domad wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:10 pm The technique is the one you described in the previous replicas: two sections are created (in this case) with Wb "Part" -> "Cross-sections" one in the center, the other positioned appropriately in order to have the complete profile of attachment of the rib to the orthogonal face, one passes to the "Draft" workbench, the second section after having "Downgrade" it, all lines and arcs (edges) are eliminated except, as mentioned, those of the rib attachment.
Thank you for the explanation. So the difference is that I used the Draft Shape2DView tool while you used the Part CrossSections tool. I tried that one initially too but it wasn't good for my purpose - projected too few lines.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:16 pm .....
Thank you for the explanation. So the difference is that I used the Draft Shape2DView tool while you used the Part CrossSections tool. I tried that one initially too but it wasn't good for my purpose - projected too few lines.
Yes, it was necessary to create two sections (to join them later) to have all the lines useful for the purpose.
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:08 pm I second that. I have allways cut through ribs, too and never had complaints about it.
In fact I have learned through this thread that I have ignored this important rule for more than 30 years now. :lol:

But if it is standard and easy to implement, why not?..
I think a big problem is automatically determining what is a "rib" or "spoke" and what isn't without having special "rib" and "spoke" commands that people would need to use... If the question is to check off another thing on the list of compliance with existing standards then so be it but other than that I would say that there are more important issues to attend to.