How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wakyct

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by wakyct »

chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:59 pm Yes, although jmaustpc sadly hasn't been active for quite a long time.
Understandable, as they're all volunteers.

However is there someone else I can contact to create an account? Of the three PMs I sent Sunday, jmaustpc hasn't logged in, one has logged in but hasn't read the PM, and one read it yesterday but no account was created.
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@Kunda1.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'll take a look

Edit: done!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Hello, just making an initial post so that I’m able to PM an admin to get wiki-editing permissions. I am a brand new FreeCAD user, looking to learn the program to help me create architectural plans for renovating a couple farm houses in rural Japan. I have some experience with Maya and Blender, but this will be my first CAD software learning experience (I don’t think SketchUp counts).

I get very distracted by small typos while going through documentation, so I’ve made this forums account so I can correct the small mistakes I see in the wiki as I go through the getting started tutorial steps.
Hyperboloids of wondrous light
Rolling for age through Space and Time
Harbour there Waves which somehow Might
Play out God’s holy pantomime
-Alan Turing
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Hamster please PM me a valid email and I can set you up with an account. Please be mindful that most pages are translated on the wiki. So the changes you make impact other work. Thanks for wanting to pitch in!

Edit: you're good to go!
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

I had a related question when I was making my first wiki edit. Is there a way to mark the edit so that if it's a typo, it doesn't trigger the translation system?

Also, if you edit something like an external url, is there a way to not have it included in the translation system? Since (in theory I guess) external urls never need to be translated. I suppose you could exclude them from the translate markup? But that seems awkward for urls that are inline with text.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wakyct wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:45 pm Also, if you edit something like an external url, is there a way to not have it included in the translation system?
There is a checkbox at the bottom "This is a minor edit". I didn't try it now though, because I didn't want to trigger anything with no change all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:37 pm There is a checkbox at the bottom "This is a minor edit". I didn't try it now though, because I didn't want to trigger anything with no change all.
I don't know this 100%, but I think that's not integrated with the translation system. Only because when I made my first edit (changing an external URL), I marked that checkbox, and I noticed after submitting the edit that didn't automatically update a translated page (I looked at the German one). Maybe it updates when the admin mark it for translation though?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Which page was it? Please Start a new topic to not hijack this one further.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wakyct wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:25 pm I don't know this 100%, but I think that's not integrated with the translation system. Only because when I made my first edit (changing an external URL), I marked that checkbox, and I noticed after submitting the edit that didn't automatically update a translated page (I looked at the German one). Maybe it updates when the admin mark it for translation though?
Yes, an admin needs to mark a page for translation.