How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by yorik »

No problem!
Glad to see you around again ;)
Wurstwasser

Post by Wurstwasser »

Thomas H. 66 wrote:Hi, I also would like to help translating some from the wiki into German.
Same here, but so far I can't send messages to the admins. :x
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hello Wurstwasser! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :D
Wurstwasser wrote:
You will be able to now. You can't send PM's until your first post has been accepted.
"fight the good fight"
Wurstwasser

Post by Wurstwasser »

sgrogan wrote:Hello Wurstwasser! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :D
Wurstwasser wrote:
You will be able to now. You can't send PM's until your first post has been accepted.
OK, thanks.
yanncad

Post by yanncad »

hi all

Wish I had a login to help improving/translating the wiki.

(FYI I am a wiki admin of ubuntu-fr like Normand :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

yanncad wrote:Wish I had a login to help improving/translating the wiki.
So be it!
I just created an account for you, you should receive a confirmation email from the wiki.
Escallic

Post by Escallic »

Still waiting to be able to PM on this forum, and no admin is logged on IRC. I sent the forum admin a message thinking that'd be the same as PMing jmaustpc and yorik (as if you were the admins), thinking that that would count as forum activity. So, I guess I won't be able to improve the wiki tutorials after all. It's amazing how allergic admins can become towards spam bots (seriously, new users should be able to PM, no?). :(
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Escallic wrote:Still waiting to be able to PM on this forum,
and you would have been waiting for ever if you had not made a first post for us to approve.
Escallic wrote:I sent the forum admin a message thinking that'd be the same as PMing jmaustpc and yorik (as if you were the admins), thinking that that would count as forum activity.
why would you do that rather than hey ...actually have some forum activity
Escallic wrote:So, I guess I won't be able to improve the wiki tutorials after all.
since you have not been on the forums perhaps indeed you can not, perhaps your "improvements" would make them worse? how on earth would we know? Normally we pretty much just trust and hope and mostly we have only a few problems which when found, one of us fixes.
Escallic wrote:It's amazing how allergic admins can become towards spam bots
You spend a huge number of hours doing the admin work and see how much you begin to hate idiotic #$%%$@#@#$%^% spammers!!! You and most of the regular/users out there have no idea how much spam we have to remove because we do it all before you see it and we have better things to do with our time.
Escallic wrote:(seriously, new users should be able to PM, no?).
of course not...if we did then our PM and emails would end up getting spam.

We are very easy going compared to what we could reasonably be. We used to allow anonymous posting until spam started becoming a problem...back then we were on Sourceforge and we asked them about it, they seemed to think it was a strange that we were still allowing anonymous posting and suggested we change the set up to pretty much what it now is....no of us wanted this and it is more work for us but we do it for free for the greater good of the FreeCAD project because we care about FreeCAD and want it to succeed.

We normally OK most people who ask, but it takes s few minutes of our time to set these up and quite a few never bother to contribute after we have made their account, I have one still in my out box now, who asked for an account, I created it and they have not ever even bothered to log in to their PM in box and even read the welcome message telling them that I set up the account! Another few minutes of my life I will never get back!
michel.dagenais

Post by michel.dagenais »

First post to get approval and then be allowed to PM a request for wiki account.

Some background. My specialty is software performance analysis, including Linux Real-time. I have interests in machine control LinuxCNC / MachineKit and machining. I am setting up a FabLab at Polytechnique Montreal and FreeCad should be our suggested "open source" CAD program. While starting to prototype a CNC milling machine simulator (check for collisions between the endmill and the table), I ran across a few things that could be clarified in the FreeCad documentation wiki.
Escallic

Post by Escallic »

jmaustpc wrote:We are very easy going compared to what we could reasonably be. We used to allow anonymous posting until spam started becoming a problem...back then we were on Sourceforge and we asked them about it, they seemed to think it was a strange that we were still allowing anonymous posting and suggested we change the set up to pretty much what it now is....no of us wanted this and it is more work for us but we do it for free for the greater good of the FreeCAD project because we care about FreeCAD and want it to succeed.
I had no idea how bad the spamming has gotten and wish there were a solution that was easier on us all. I really appreciate all the hard work you do and look forward to helping out! I feel so bad that you had to deal with my overeagerness and stupidity. Had I just kept on reading the posts I would have known to post here first like everybody else. I apologize for that greatly.