Sketcher Offset

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Offset

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:29 pm What about calling them with both names?
"Rotate/Circular pattern"
"Translate/Rectangular pattern".
Sounds great to me as it eliminates potential confusion while keeping the name short :D
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:33 pm If you can implement something like that, the Move and Copy tools may indeed become unnecessary. Currently, this level of freedom in moving or copying multiple objects is not available in the Sketcher but it would be great to see this. It indeed feels more natural and reduces the number of necessary tools.
;)
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
shamanths13

Post by shamanths13 »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:29 pm
shamanths13 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:25 pm
paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:20 pm ping
The underlying logic is the same between translate and rectangular pattern and rotate and circular pattern, But say I am a newish user, and I want to rotate something, using the circular pattern to do so, or if I want to translate a sketch, using the rectangular pattern to do so seems cumbersome.
Cheers!
What about calling them with both names?
"Rotate/Circular pattern"
"Translate/Rectangular pattern".
Its better, But this boils down to personal preference I guess. I think it makes more sense having them separate because they are different operations from a user perspective. Every 3d software we know has translate and rotate as separate from rectangular and circular pattern, even though they are the same essentially. Atleast thats what I think.
Cheers!
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:37 pm ;)
Cool, I missed these videos. The functionalities presented there are very convenient. With them, the old Move and Copy tools should indeed become redundant.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Really great work. If you could add offset constraint that would be even better. So we can keep it parametric and adjust the distance if we need to.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

czinehuba wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:15 pm Really great work. If you could add offset constraint that would be even better. So we can keep it parametric and adjust the distance if we need to.
What you describe as offset constraint would mean to have a special kind of curve 'offsetcurves' that are dependant on their original geometries.
The pros :
- You can edit the offset length easily

The cons :
- You can't edit the offset curves easily.
- It's a extremely huge task as Abdullah explained in this thread : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 55#p578755

So for now we have this independant offset :)

Hmm
Another way would be to have a set of constraint created that are linked to a overall value (the offset length). But that feels quite difficult to make.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:26 pm
Yes. It might be a complicated. I just tough If it isn't that complicated and it's possible to do it. It is very useful. For creating enclosure where there's a need for lips or o rings and many more.

Basically just it's one dimension on length which will be constant between existing geometry. It could be implemented with construction lines, equal constraints and normal with in FreeCAD.
offset.png
offset.png (40.32 KiB) Viewed 4224 times

How it's achieved in other software.
https://youtu.be/7UzgOqlOPTo

Again this is already great progress anyway. Just tough if can be implemented. To speed up workflow. :D

Cheers
Huba
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

for a parametric offset now you can use the new 2d offset property of subshapebinders
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

czinehuba wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:07 pm
paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:26 pm
Yes. It might be a complicated. I just tough If it isn't that complicated and it's possible to do it. It is very useful. For creating enclosure where there's a need for lips or o rings and many more.

Basically just it's one dimension on length which will be constant between existing geometry. It could be implemented with construction lines, equal constraints and normal with in FreeCAD.

offset.png

How it's achieved in other software.
https://youtu.be/7UzgOqlOPTo

Again this is already great progress anyway. Just tough if can be implemented. To speed up workflow. :D

Cheers
Huba
Seem doable in your drawing. but the case you're showing is a simple case. In more complex shapes it might get very complex.
In particular when lines intersect and split.
Actually I don't know how we could identify which offset curve is from which curve.
Well now that I'm writing it I may have few ideas.
Ok it might be doable. I need to think on it.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Having tool setting indeed opens up a lot of possibility to improve the toolsets. For instance things like current fillet tools 'normal fillet' and 'fillet preserving constraints' are heavy on the interface and can be easily replaced by a checkbox in toolsettings.
I may have misunderstood the action, but it would be nice to ensure a short cut can be set for
combined tools that involve checkboxes. e.g. If the user often uses particular setup of a tool
they can call them preset via a shortcut (and potentially and userdefined pull down/RMB menu)
to restrict box checking/unchecking.

Best Wishes