Sketcher Offset

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Offset

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't encouraging hard forking is a good idea, abdullah has daid he'll pick up the grid stuff so at least we'll get that, but I'm sad to hear paddle has given up as we would likely not get the tool settings widget then :(
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:25 pm but I'm sad to hear paddle has given up as we would likely not get the tool settings widget then :(
That won't really change something for tool settings. AFAIK it's same as for grid. Paddle did stop working on this for a pretty long time because he don't want to invest more time in "something that works" and bet on abdullah to make the hard work of making it mergeable into FC codebase.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:23 pmPerhaps instead of giving up completely and leaving your code to rot, you could for example create your own branch like Realthunder did. Or even better - ask him to merge your PRs into his version of FreeCAD. He is much more open-minded than the mergers of the main branch and should appreciate your efforts.
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:25 pm I don't encouraging hard forking is a good idea, abdullah has daid he'll pick up the grid stuff so at least we'll get that, but I'm sad to hear paddle has given up as we would likely not get the tool settings widget then :(
I don't think (most of) my code will be lost. Tool setting was close to merging, and the ball was on the court of Abdullah who said he'll go back to it later.

Forking the project has been on my mind for a long time. The main issue is that it's a lot of work, especially rebasing on master after lot of changes. And forking sucks as it splits the efforts. But yes the liberty of doing things without discussing for ages on the forum... I can only understand why RT did it in the first place.

Anyhow I'm out for now but maybe I'll come around at some point. Someone told me about a potential grant to do the snapping feature, if so I'll be back to do it.
openBrain wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:48 pmPaddle did stop working on this for a pretty long time because he don't want to invest more time in "something that works" and bet on abdullah to make the hard work of making it mergeable into FC codebase.
For grid PR I did first "something that works", before rewriting it in VPSketch as per your instruction. Then rewriting it again in coin as per your instructions. Then I'm asked to move it again. How is that "doing "something that works" and bet on abdullah to make the hard work of making it mergeable into FC codebase."?

Besides your statement is so wrong. I spent months working on toolsettings as Abdullah refactored again and again. I basically rewrote all the DSH about 3 times. It was supposed to start to merge in June but then Abdullah couldn't be around and it's iddle since. I don't see how you summarized that like this.
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

There was talk about hiring a developer to get features implemented. How about hiring a developer to fix the architecture of whatever witchcraft Paddle comes up with? Would really love to see the quality of life improvement of his continue to land in master.

The sad thing is none of you seem to be happy on the final outcome...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I suppose nobody really cares about the forum rules since a couple of the strict rule-enforcers do not seem to be active.

However, for newcomers and perhaps some old-timers with fading memory I would point to the pinned topic in this forum.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38145

Gene
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:29 pm I don't think (most of) my code will be lost. Tool setting was close to merging, and the ball was on the court of Abdullah who said he'll go back to it later.
Isn’t it the case that once tool settings PR is merged, the rest (like the offset tool discussed here) will be significantly easier to integrate and won’t require that much work ?

paddle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:29 pm Forking the project has been on my mind for a long time. The main issue is that it's a lot of work, especially rebasing on master after lot of changes. And forking sucks as it splits the efforts. But yes the liberty of doing things without discussing for ages on the forum... I can only understand why RT did it in the first place.
What about working with Realthunder ? Wouldn’t you like to implement your changes into his branch ? He seems to be open to collaboration and could help you improve your code.

Hologram wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 pm There was talk about hiring a developer to get features implemented. How about hiring a developer to fix the architecture of whatever witchcraft Paddle comes up with?
Yeah, that would be awesome but I doubt the decision-makers will do that. I would be glad to support such initiative financially.

GeneFC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:56 pm I suppose nobody really cares about the forum rules since a couple of the strict rule-enforcers do not seem to be active.
The discussion is still about the development of the offset tool and other features related to it.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:28 pm The discussion is still about the development of the offset tool and other features related to it.
Did you actually READ the link? :twisted:

This topic has gone way beyond the original intent. Now we have additional feature requests popping in.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:23 pm Too bad, you are the only chance for the Sketcher to become as powerful as in commercial software.
As much as I like to see more developers working on Sketcher, this is a smack into Abdullah's face. Yes it is slower than paddle's additions, as was discussed here, but seeing what has happened during the last years is way much more than nothing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
whatever1

Post by whatever1 »

Just want too add, that I'm really thankful for the maintainers for taking a stance for code quality. It seems some users are only impressed, by some nice screenshots or eyecandy, and can't imagine, that a sustainable codebase (especially in a core component like Sketcher) is way more important for the future a promising open source project.

I must also say, that I find it really impressive, how humble abdullah and OpenBrain spend so much time trying to educate some young coder on basics of successful programming, eventhough they seemingly hit a wall, again and again and ...
psommerfeld

Post by psommerfeld »

Just wondering, @paddle could you give the code to Zheng Lei's branch of FreeCad (https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD) to integrate?
Or open-source and others can refactor it?
This tool would be so useful to have!