TechDraw ordinate dimensioning

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LVAeronautics

Re: TechDraw ordinate dimensioning

Post by LVAeronautics »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:54 am
LVAeronautics wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:38 pm But if @kemes has a product, I just need to know how to download it.
You can build FreeCAD from his branch. Instructions are available on the FreeCAD wiki, depending on the OS.
Hate to sound like an uninformed moron, but can you direct me to the appropriate page on the wiki? I want to make sure that what I found is correct. (https://wiki.freecad.org/How_to_install ... orkbenches) This is very new to me; I honestly do not know what or how to do this.
"Testing leads to Failure, and Failure leads to Understanding" -Burt Rutan
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

@LVAeronautics Those are the wiki pages with instructions for building FreeCAD from source (GitHub branch):

Compile on Windows
Compile on Linux
Compile on MacOS
LVAeronautics

Post by LVAeronautics »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 pm @LVAeronautics Those are the wiki pages with instructions for building FreeCAD from source (GitHub branch):

Compile on Windows
Compile on Linux
Compile on MacOS
Thank you, but we won't lie on this end; not knowing software coding the way alot of you all do here, that page has us lost in the sauce big time. I wish we could say differently, but we are aero & flight test guys. We do know a few chaps who might be able to walk us through a compiling. We'll try to figure it out, but in the meanwhile, we will make do manually!
"Testing leads to Failure, and Failure leads to Understanding" -Burt Rutan
kemes

Post by kemes »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:29 pm Unfortunately, it's not available in master. There's even no open PR for it yet. It's only available in kemes' GitHub branch but he hasn't be active since the fall of 2023.

@kemes Any chance for PR in master or is this project abandoned ?
The project is not abandoned. I just have not had time to carry on. The project has not seen many steps yet, basically it has the icons done. Nothing more. Therefore I have not seen a reason for a PR.
jango

Post by jango »

Make use of ordinate dimensios is convenient when we need to specify location and tolerances of certain features of an object respect to a central point, in example the guide pins and cavities of an injection mould need to be aligned respect to a central axis like this:
Plastic-Injection-Mold-Structure.jpg
Plastic-Injection-Mold-Structure.jpg (76.92 KiB) Viewed 470 times
In the future I want to develop an injection mould using Freecad, I began with something simpler but with the same principle, ordinate dimensioning is a cleaner and pertinent method, nevertheless the current Freecad tools have the following inconvenients:
  1. Balloon arrow is fixed to only a point over an object, cannot be fixed to any point over the object or line span. In example is not possible to add an arrow at the endpoint of a centerline of faces, circles or arcs.
  2. Balloon Text have not the split line possibility.
  3. Customize format label is not set by default in the Task Window of any text insertion tool in example special characters should be added after balloon annotation insertion; is tricky to add it in annotation or text rich annotation tools, you have to copy paste.
With some effort I get the following result, hope this experience could be useful for the tool development.
bed180.pdf
(289.12 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
bed120.pdf
(281.06 KiB) Downloaded 31 times