[Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

Post by chrisb »

MisterMaker wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:32 pm Inkscape is a pain to work with in my opinion we should all start using Blender for icons!
There is no requirement to use a certain tool to create the SVGs.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MisterMaker

Re: [Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

Post by MisterMaker »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:48 pm
MisterMaker wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:32 pm Inkscape is a pain to work with in my opinion we should all start using Blender for icons!
There is no requirement to use a certain tool to create the SVGs.
Just a suggestion.
Since I really think most icons are made in inkscape, and they look not si polished. And as an inkscape user myself I know inkscape is pretty annoying and it's very hard to get "professional" looking icons out.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

What about a very simplistic style with just circles of colors to represent the idea of toggle :
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

paddle wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:16 am What about a very simplistic style with just circles of colors to represent the idea of toggle :
Looks a lot like boolean operations.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I made a last attempt at this. I tried many of the offered possibilities in the thread and tried them on the software to see which looked the best.
So in the end the one from @Haavard with a 90 rotation was looking the best imo.

The toggle construction and toggle driving icons are changing when you click them.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/11500
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

@adrianinsaval @chrisb @Shalmeneser @czinehuba @MisterMaker @nm2107 @fred-3d @Isabel @maxwxyz

pinging people who participate as it's been a long time.
maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

Looks good, I think the cursor icons should change to a blue version as well. (and currently the cursor icons are not the same as the ones in the toolbar: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/11352 )
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

paddle wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:19 am I made ..
Yes. That looks good. The only thing, I would still keep the the blue line dashed for the toggle construction. So it indicates a toggle for construction geometry rather then parallelism.

And indeed the toggle driving/reference icon is more relevant with the dimensions arrows rather than with the squares.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As the deactivation icon may be moved to the menu anyway there is not such an urgent need to distinguish it very clear from toggle construction.
Using small icons the arrow tips get completely lost, what remains is the blue and red line. It's not really better nor worse than what we have now, but it's different.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

I suggest an icon that I think is commonly associated with constructions lines and I don't think it is necessary to emphasize the toggle functionality of the tool.
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2023-11-24 kl. 18.39.52.png
Skärmavbild 2023-11-24 kl. 18.39.52.png (67.17 KiB) Viewed 4078 times