Vortex Amplifier

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Crossleyuk

Vortex Amplifier

Post by Crossleyuk »

After some success following great help from the forum, I can offer some more progress on my CFD success.

The intent of this document is to summarise early stages of a personal research exercise that ultimately aims to assist the application of the author’s no-moving-part Fluidics technology experience to a new Third-Generation Fluidics (3GF) approach with an aim to meet the requirements of a much wider range of applications and industries. The work introduced in this document is centred on the author’s 40 years of research and application experience in the generic field of Fluidics and his new interests in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
Fluidic no-moving-part technology has provided small Signal Fluidic and larger Power Fluidic (PF) devices. Power Fluidics has been used and is still being applied to process systems in the UK and USA nuclear industries and the author has also applied it to UK Chemical, Pharmaceutical and Oil & Gas industries.
The work described here introduces investigations conducted using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) on a model of a historic PF device known as a Vortex Amplifier (VXA) that is intended to gain confidence in CFD suitability and confirm its applicability to the historic VXA.
Following a brief introduction to the approach, observations obtained from CFD modelling of the historic VXA design and recommendations of the next steps to be taken are discussed.
Model & Characteristic - Rev P1.png
Model & Characteristic - Rev P1.png (89.85 KiB) Viewed 2770 times

The above CFD model was prepared in open-source 3D drafting and CFD modelling and assessment software and resulted in the characteristics that have confirmed that the CFD model is providing excellent results. The modeling has also provided the following valuable indications of key velocity vector areas that provided the above characteristic.
Model Velocity Planes - Rev P1.png
Model Velocity Planes - Rev P1.png (115.01 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
oliveroxtoby

Re: Vortex Amplifier

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:54 am After some success following great help from the forum, I can offer some more progress on my CFD success.
Interesting and impressive results! Thanks for the feedback. :-)
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Nice one! I've never heard about VXAs. A further reading: http://archive.wmsym.org/2007/pdfs/7501.pdf
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:23 pm
Crossleyuk wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:54 am After some success following great help from the forum, I can offer some more progress on my CFD success.
Thank you Oliver, it's taken a lot of time and effort and could not have been here without you. I'm going to add the full report as soon as I'm happy.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

PrzemoF wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:29 pm Nice one! I've never heard about VXAs. A further reading: http://archive.wmsym.org/2007/pdfs/7501.pdf
PrzemoF,

Thank you,, now many years since I wrote and presented that paper and work. My history remains and I'm still very interested.

Thanks again.

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thank you for the interest you've shown me following my abstract offering. My plans will become a more evident when I can offer a short note that I also intend to post on my Linkedin feed when it is ready. In the meantime, here are a few further images of my CFD OpenFOAM examination of the Vortex Amplifier (VXA)
Case_02 Vectors - Rev P1.png
Case_02 Vectors - Rev P1.png (165.25 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
Case_08 Vectors - Rev P1.png
Case_08 Vectors - Rev P1.png (135.73 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

Just a further indication of my work with more to come with the Linkedin note

Michael Crossley
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Just in case anyone is interested, I tried to post more details of my CFD work here but ran out of space. But here is a link to my LinkedIn feed where I have posted my 17 page draft. Still lots to learn but very pleased what I've managed to do now.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/michael- ... EH7FCIoq_M
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Hello again and I'm still massively grateful,

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

I've now moved onto the first major changes to the historic VXA design that has caused me problems. It's a more complex geometry now.
RAD_Diff_VXR_Rev_P5_29-05.png
RAD_Diff_VXR_Rev_P5_29-05.png (81.42 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

It's been a long time after fantastic help from Syres. Massive 3D drafting support allowed me to speed up my model build time so the agony that followed was less so. To be brief here, I seem to have problems connecting parts of the model and hence mesh.

I decided to reduce the number of polar arays required, so built a full CPB_Chamber_Flows item. All meshed great so added a single CP_Flow item and that also meshed. But after adding another of the four CP_Flow items the meshing failed. So I whent back to a polar array and that will not mesh at all. Here is my latest model with a polar CF_Flow part.

RAD_DIFF_VXR_Rev_P5.FCStd
(145.76 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Please let me know if any other info or models would help.

Many thanks in anticipation again guys.

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:23 pm
Hello Oliver,

It's been a long arduous trip to my latest model but I havent had any response from my last post and question. Can you or anyone please let me know what I'm clearly doing wrong. I've tried many changes but the mashing problem still remains.

Thanks in anticipation

Michael
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:44 pm Hello Oliver,

It's been a long arduous trip to my latest model but I havent had any response from my last post and question. Can you or anyone please let me know what I'm clearly doing wrong. I've tried many changes but the mashing problem still remains.

Thanks in anticipation

Michael
The lower face of CPB_Flow_Body002 seems to have disappeared in the Fusion object, leading to an open shell. I don't know why that is, but if I first do a fusion of Sep_Plate_Flow_Array, CPB_Flow_Body002, Diffuser_Flow_Body003, CP_Flows_Array001, and then fuse that with Supply_Chamber_Flow_Body in a second operation, the face is preserved and the meshing works. I don't know enough about FreeCAD's geometry modelling to explain this behaviour, I'm afraid!