Screw Maker

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Screw Maker

Post by shaise »

microelly2 wrote: Hello shai
Let me know when your workbench is comming up.
It is almost complete, I'm just waiting for an approval from Ulrich, since I mostly use his code.
So far these are the planed features:
Clicking on a screw icon will generate one on the origin. You can then play with its parameters.
Clicking on circle edges of holes, then clicking a screw icon will create a screw on each of the holes, trying to match screw size to hole size.
An existing screw can be moved to another hole by clicking both the screw and the hole, then click the move icon.

shai
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

shaise wrote:It is almost complete, I'm just waiting for an approval from Ulrich, since I mostly use his code.
You do not need the approval from me, as the code is licensed under LGPL. So you can change und use the code, as long as you observe the license obligations.

The icons are helpful. I also thought about using icons. I am only thinking, with more screw types and hopefully also nuts available, there may be not enough place for all icons in the end. I would prefer icons in a drop down list. I just did not try to implement it and do not know how it can be done.

There are two other part-libraries available for FreeCAD:
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... rtsLibrary from jreinhardt
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... o_BOLTS/en from yorik

By making a new workbench, I think a general parts-library-workbench would be more useful in the end.
Such a workbench would integrate all three available macros and may be some more macros, which code special things like for example housings for electronic designs.

What do you thing?

Ulrich
cox

Post by cox »

ulrich1a wrote:By making a new workbench, I think a general parts-library-workbench would be more useful in the end.
Such a workbench would integrate all three available macros and may be some more macros, which code special things like for example housings for electronic designs.

What do you thing?
+1
Nice thinking :-)
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I work the way to install compoents available anywhere (macros, workbenches, libraries)
and then create from these gui-components

toolbars, menus and pie-menues which combine buttons/entries from different sources.
so different people can create individual work-environments
such work-environments can be published to the communitiy for reuse

I love the screen layout concept of blender. it gives a lot of freedom to have multiple individual guis along the workflow.
and I think this is for freecad possible too.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Ulrich

Thank you for your reply. I know that GPL lets me reuse your code, however it is still your code and I always like to keep the original developer in the loop. Regarding the part library. I see the Fasteners workbench not as a general purpose part library, but rather as it name: a special library of fasteners: screws, bolts, and in the future also press-nuts (PEMs), standoffs and studs. They usually are bound to holes in the main part. Indeed when in the future more fasteners types will be added, some kind of drop down will be a must, but we will tackle it in the future.
I will be more then happy to make a general purpose Part library as well. But in order to do so, we need some kind of standard class interface to the parts such that anyone who want to contribute parts, will make sure it follows this class definition and this way make it easy to integrate it to the workbench without the need for special adaptation of the workbench.

shai
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

But in order to do so, we need some kind of standard class interface to the parts such that anyone who want to contribute parts, will make sure it follows this class definition and this way make it easy to integrate it to the workbench without the need for special adaptation of the workbench.
This is what the bolts library already does, so no need to reinvent the wheel here. IMHO it would be a shame if those efforts would be duplicated.
shaise

Post by shaise »

microelly2 wrote: Hello shai
Let me know when your workbench is comming up.
Initial version of Fasteners workbench is now ready. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11429
arcol

Post by arcol »

shaise wrote: Initial version of Fasteners workbench is now ready. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11429
I like how you can switch on the data panel between the simplified and the full-blown model!
This is awesome. You can render assembly manual with screws all in glory, technical drawings with simplified version,
and you can work with freecad with simplified model.

That is really excellent solution!

Keep up the good work.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Well, we are not there yet... A big save/load bug found. working on it.
shaise

Post by shaise »

shaise wrote:Well, we are not there yet... A big save/load bug found. working on it.
Bug fixed. Sorry for that.