Screw Maker

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lsmod

Re: Screw Maker

Post by lsmod »

ulrich1a wrote:
lsmod wrote:but i need more to have a thread in a solid object.
Do you need a inner thread in a solid object in order to screw something in, or do you want something like a threaded bolt on a solid object?
Mostly i need a inner thread in a solid object in order to screw something in.

Printing a complete screw is a nice 3D demonstration, but in reality you can buy a ready one.
When you construct something it is really needed to have the possiblity to screw something together with a normal screw.
lsmod

Post by lsmod »

ulrich1a wrote:This is on my todo-list.
That's perfect!
ulrich1a wrote:So ScrewMaker should than provide a screwtap to cut a thread into a solid. Unfortunately the progress is slowly, so more in months than days.

I have some code that generates threads faster. Unfortunately it breaks some screws. So I need to fix this first, before publishing it.
Do you mean it needs month to cut a thread? :D

When the script is working slow but perfect this is not really a problem.
You get time to drink coffee ...
But i never get it done so fast when i should do it for myself manually. ;)
makerdog

Post by makerdog »

lsmod wrote: Mostly i need a inner thread in a solid object in order to screw something in.

Printing a complete screw is a nice 3D demonstration, but in reality you can buy a ready one.
When you construct something it is really needed to have the possiblity to screw something together with a normal screw.
Why not create the screw and then use the boolean cut operation to create the inner threads of the solid object?

lsmod

Post by lsmod »

makerdog wrote:Why not create the screw and then use the boolean cut operation to create the inner threads of the solid object?
Can you explain how to do this for a beginner please?
Thanks!
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

I'm a newbie to this type of program and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to change the settings for this macro (If I am indeed allowed to that is).
I am after inserting a new screw model based on one of the others. Or maybe this is a request to the creator...

I am trying to make a 3.5mm ISO2010 : Slotted raised Countersunk head screw for use in electrical fittings ie. a socket or light switch as this is the standard size for these.

I am sorry if I am imposing on something, I don't mean to sorry.
Mike
cox

Post by cox »

Welcome to the FreeCAD forum popsmike,

Just out of curiosity i googled 3.5 mm ISO2010 and I could not find any on exactly 3.5 mm.
According to some tables I found 2.5mm 3mm 4mm

Do you have spec. on it?

http://www.globalfastener.com/standards ... _2991.html
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

cox wrote:Just out of curiosity i googled 3.5 mm ISO2010 and I could not find any on exactly 3.5 mm.
Those screws with M3.5 are indeed defined. Have a look here at the indian version of the corresponding ISO-standard: https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01 ... 1.2005.pdf
The standard says: "should be avoided if possible"
popsmike wrote:I'm a newbie to this type of program and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to change the settings for this macro (If I am indeed allowed to that is).
I am after inserting a new screw model based on one of the others. Or maybe this is a request to the creator...
The macro is licensed under LGPL 2.2. So you are allowed to change the code.

I enabled this diameter in the menu. See here for a version of the macro with M3.5-screws.

Ulrich
Attachments
screw_maker1_7b.py.zip
(18.86 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
cox

Post by cox »

ulrich1a wrote:indian version of the corresponding ISO-standard
Thanks, ulricha
I like the cover-page of the Indian ISO document a lot. Put a smile on my hart:-)
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Ulrich

I must say I use FreeCAD for about 3 years and until recently did not bother to look for extensions. Only to find now there are great extensions out there that could have saved me lots of time. After I saw your very nice Unfold code, I now stumbled on your yet another great macro - the Screw Maker.
I would like your permission to translate your macro to a new workbench: Fasteners. This way screw creation will be easy, and also parametric, and maybe even follow other part's geometry. It will look something like this:

Thanks again!

shai
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

shaise wrote: ... to a new workbench: Fasteners.
Hello shai
Let me know when your workbench is comming up.