FreeCAD 0.20.2 on Debian Bullseye/Intel : graphic issue

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.20.2 on Debian Bullseye/Intel : graphic issue

Post by adrianinsaval »

this might be freecad trying to adjust itself to the different dpi when qt has already adjusted itself. Qt had bad scaling support in the past and some workarounds where applied to compensate this, qt has been improving over time about this and with qt6 it's supposed to be pretty good, unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to track this down and I can't even reproduce it really.
holm

Post by holm »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 pm
holm wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:11 pm I people complaining that often about this bug..on different os's and different X-Servers..maybe it is time to report that problem upstream to the Qt people?
I don't think they are going to fix anything on qt5 anymore, we would need to see if this is happening with qt6 too. Besides that, I do not have clear reproductions steps and don't even know what component is causing trouble here, it seems this might be somehow related to hardware too.
And when you see that it is on Qt6 the same problem, you don't think that they would change anything on Qt6 anymore?

...just kidding.
Identifying the problem is the goal, not to think what possibly the upstream guys would do with that. If you know what's going wrong you could possibly
prevent to trigger the bug.

I have an Nvidia Quadro K5000 GPU in the system, running with the NVIDIA X Driver 470.103.01, distributed from Nvidia as binary blob on FreeBSD
in conjuction with their matching OpenGL Libraries on a Ryzen 5.
Do you really think that it may have something similar hardware wise with that guy above in the thread that has a Radeon on Linux that runs on a Intel CPU?
Maybe the network chip?

Tell me what I should do or looking for, I'll try to help.

Regards,
Holm
holm

Post by holm »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:59 pm this might be freecad trying to adjust itself to the different dpi when qt has already adjusted itself. Qt had bad scaling support in the past and some workarounds where applied to compensate this, qt has been improving over time about this and with qt6 it's supposed to be pretty good, unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to track this down and I can't even reproduce it really.
I do have Qt6 on the system also but I don't think that I could patch up the build process for freecad myself. I can read and write C, but my knowledge for C++ is very limited. Otherwise one of the hints to fix the bug is adjusting the Font DPI value used from X11 or Mate or Xfce or OpenGL...
all but no freecad.

I don't have the necessary knowledge like you, but someone must have been written the code and should have the knowledge?
I'm willing to help and I can compile the code myself and so I'm able to try patches or modifications if that helps.

Regards,
Holm
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think we don't have full qt6 compatibility yet but I think you can compile with qt6 and it'll at least launch, I think to compile with qt6 you need to set the cmake option FREECAD_QT_VERSION=6 in theory that should be enough but I've never compiled for qt6 myself, I don't actually know who we can ask about dpi scaling and graphics driver around here :? @wmayer would you have any clue or know who we should talk to?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

holm wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 pm ...
I don't have the necessary knowledge like you, but someone must have been written the code and should have the knowledge?
I'm willing to help and I can compile the code myself and so I'm able to try patches or modifications if that helps.
I agree that this could be a FreeCAD problem as similar software don't have these problems.

This is probably the point identify the problem and find solutions.

Good to have this type of approach, sadly I have not a deep knowledge of all the inner work as my skills are limited to some Python coding and a little about the system work but more from searching around for solution and fear not to make changes.

@adrianinsaval as already poked wmayer so there are some luck to have some authoritative hints.

Kind regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

@holm this PR might have fixed the problem, if you are able to please test
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/8783
pm490

Post by pm490 »

I ran into the same problem with ubuntumate 22.04.
Resolution can be changed via appearance/fonts/details/resolution which allows disabling the auto-detection, and setting it to 96 dpi.

As reported in previous post, the menu rendering issue was unique to FreeCad. I also found that it was unique to the NVIDIA driver.

Under Ubuntu Software & Updates one can select either the NVIDIA or the X server Nouveau display driver. Without forcing the 96 dpi setting, the Nouveau driver renders FreeCad without the bug, the NVIDIA doesn't.

Hope the information is helpful in pinpointing the root cause of the problem.

PM
holm

Post by holm »

In don't think it's just ans only nvidia since the TO posted this:
0:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
I'll try to build FreeCad with the suggested patch later this week.
Regards,
Holm
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the patch is merged so you just need to build latest master branch