Ability to search menus/commands by text?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Ability to search menus/commands by text?

Post by jnxd »

So, I've been having trouble trying to find the correct command I want to use from the icon soup that the toolbars are. Even when I can, sometimes it's better if I'd be able to do things just through the keyboard by text searching. This is not restricted to FreeCAD, but also something I could find useful in say, GIMP or Libreoffice. I wanted to know if there is any known way to do this through FreeCAD or the operating system. If not, how possible would it be to implement this within FC?

Some places where I know of this functionality:
  • The Unity desktop environment that Ubuntu used to have until 2017. The first time I saw something like this, but due to reasons I don't know of this was never used in any other DE.
  • KDE seems to have something like this, IIRC.
  • I think LibreOffice recently added this functionality.
This is all for mainly Linux though, IDK what the situation is in Windows or Mac. Even where this functionality is available outside of FreeCAD, we might want to try to access it from within, say to be able to search within workbenches that are not loaded.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Ability to search menus/commands by text?

Post by openBrain »

I posted in the past a macro that displays a dialog where you can search for commands. Will try to find it back.
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

Launcher (you can find it in add-on manager) : https://github.com/triplus/Launcher
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Thanks, openbrain and dxp.dev, I'll take a look.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

Can Launcher be launched with a keyboard combination? I don't see the addon anywhere in the keyboard shortcuts section, nor in a toolbar.
It seems the original developer is no longer active on the forums, so I don't want to rely on another (possibly deprecated) addon to create a key binding.