Optics Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
christi

Re: Optics Workbench

Post by christi »

nice feature. Thank you !
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

I wonder if someone can suggest the best solution to the following
work plan.

I am interested in producing an optical system which include some shaped mirrors and lenses to
distort an image which is focused on a ccd array. I deally what I would like to do is
design the mechanical/optical items and ray paths in FC, to be subsequently machined.
To check the optical design I would like to
be able to insert objects/images into the model on the object plane and see a predicted 'distorted' image
on displayed on the ccd plane. Is there an easy way to use this type of workflow and be reaonably
confident that the image is displayed is true?

Best Wishes
christi

Post by christi »

Hi cadcam,
the optics workbench is good for tracing single rays through any mirrors ans lenses created with FreeCAD. You can add some rays at the edges of your image to see how the image will be scaled, but there is no way to generate a projection of a whole image.
For your case the Raytracing workbench may be a solution.
bleber

Post by bleber »

l suggest design and 3d with freecad, export to blender and raytracing with it.
WEB2

Post by WEB2 »

Hallo christi,

absolut phantastisch. Bin begeistert ! Bin in 1 Stunde von null ( noch nie was mit Optik gemacht ) auf 90 gekommen. Ich habe mit einem STEP file einer vorhandenen Linse ein Ergebnis bekommen das dem realen Bild erstaunlich nahe kommt.
ErsterVersuch.png
ErsterVersuch.png (53.79 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Was jetzt noch die über-Krönung wäre:
Wenn ich ein Objekt als Absorber definiere kann ich mir ja anzeigen lassen wie viele Rays dieses Objekt treffen.Wenn man das derart erweitern könnte, dass eine Fläche ( automatisch, im Phyton Programm ) in z.B. 1x1mm grosse quadrate zerteilt wird und dann der "ray hit counter" für jedes dieser "pixel" laufen gelassen wird; Dann hat man eine Verteilung rays/mm^2 auf der Gesamtfläche - also eine qualitative Aussage wie viel Licht an welcher Stelle ist. Wenn man das dann als Textfile speichern kann, kann man sich daraus eine farbige Leuchtdichtenverteilung machen.

DAS wäre EXTREM cool. Leider kann ich kein Phyton sondern nur ein bisserl C und Perl :-(. UND ich habe keien Ahnung von den FreeCad Interna. Darum _vermute_ ich dass mich das Wochen kosten würde. Und ich _vermute_ dass es für euch sehr schnell umsetztbar ist, denn alles was man braucht ist ja schon da.

Viele Grüße,
Wolfgang
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
WEB2 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:09 pm Bin begeistert !
Please note that you are here in the English part of the forum, where you should post in English. There is also a German subforum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Fastpulse

Post by Fastpulse »

Hi,
It's a great optical ray tracing module, it would be fantastic to introduce dispersive components like diffraction gratings in reflection and transmission.
Best regards
christi

Post by christi »

WEB2 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:09 pm Bin begeistert !
Hallo Wolfgang,
nice to hear that you are "begeistert".
The use case you have is special and I do not want to integrate this into the workbench. You should do this in a separate project that make use of the Optics workbench. Hire a programmer for this task.
christi

Post by christi »

Fastpulse wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:40 pm It's a great optical ray tracing module, it would be fantastic to introduce dispersive components like diffraction gratings in reflection and transmission.
The Optics workbench traces single rays just as lines following the rules of geometrical optics. For dispersive components a source of light should be regarded as a wave that interacts with other waves. This is a different approach. Another question is how to display diffraction patterns with the graphical object that FreeCAD provides.
Cobras62

Post by Cobras62 »

Hello,
I don't know if the subject has already been mentioned: would it be possible to add an option to generate a matrix of rays embedded in a circle?
Currently, to do this, I generate a square matrix and place a screen in front of it (see image)...
Thanks again!
Pierre
Attachments
RoundBeam.JPG
RoundBeam.JPG (63.97 KiB) Viewed 2423 times