Luthiers using FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mikele

Re: Luthiers using FreeCAD

Post by Mikele »

mnesarco wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:18 pm ..., but for more advanced designs an svg file can be imported and carved from the neck (same method as headstock/body/inlay carving in the workbench)

Btw, all the parts created in MarzDesigner can be edited further in FreeCAD, and my plan is to have a dedicated workbench that connects the two to do advanced things in FreeCAD. I don't want to create a full CAD software. So for advanced things the workflow will be something like:
MarzDesigner -> FreeCAD -> CAM -> CNC
Sounds to me like an optimal solution.
Much success Frank!
Svet

Post by Svet »

Frank, any progress on you project? I tried to model basic stratocaster neck in a Marz Workbench, and looks like it's impossible to get smooth transitions on top and back of the headstock due to the lack of parameters. Of course it could be done another way, like creating freetboard with a workbench an than the rest with a NURBS in a Curves workbench, but it's time consuming and not for inexperienced user. Hope you will be able to publish alpha of your designer soon!

Best regards!
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Svet wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:01 am Frank, any progress on you project? I tried to model basic stratocaster neck in a Marz Workbench, and looks like it's impossible to get smooth transitions on top and back of the headstock due to the lack of parameters. Of course it could be done another way, like creating freetboard with a workbench an than the rest with a NURBS in a Curves workbench, but it's time consuming and not for inexperienced user. Hope you will be able to publish alpha of your designer soon!
Hi Svet, The project has been paused for some time. There are many things going on and I have had no much time. The C++ Version has proper transitions and good performance, but it is still incomplete. My intention is to continue with the project as soon as I can, I invested a lot of time and I will not abandon it.
Svet

Post by Svet »

Good to hear that project is moving forward! Hope you will have time to move it further!
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Hello Friends,
I made a big step in transitions continuity today.

screenshot88.png
screenshot88.png (184.17 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

I am using the Gordon Surface Algorithm from Martin Siggel and the TiGL team.
https://github.com/DLR-SC/tigl

This changes everything. I was a bit disappointed with OpenCascade capabilities in the past, so the project was in pause for long time. But now everything is possible.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Chris_G
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Rickenbroc

Post by Rickenbroc »

Hi,
As an amateur luthier, I'm using freecad for designing luthierie tools, but not yet for guitar parts.
I've installed the Markz workbench a long time ago and was pleased, but I understand that you're working on a improved version.
Thanks for that, I look forward including it in my workflow.
Rickenbroc
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Rickenbroc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:59 pm
Thank you Rickenbroc. I hope I can release the new version soon.
NCG

Post by NCG »

Hi, I'll just assume that everyone here knows a lot more than me about FreeCAD and the GW. After some messing about I was able to 'make' a rudimentary guitar show up in FreeCAD. I'm a luthier and trying to learn how to use FreeCAD for design and machining. I spent a little time with the Marz Guitar Workbench and appreciate what it's capable of.
I groped through the Inkscape design drawings and discovered that they're linked to FreeCAD using labels, because I edited the script for the headstock logo in Inkscape and observed it automatically updating in FreeCAD. I also observed that the numbers in the pocket labels seem to be measurements for depth of cut for pockets. ...cool! I like the parametric features that exist for a project. I'm wondering if there's any documentation/discussion on all this stuff? I find that I'm fumbling around a lot more than I have time for. Has anyone tried to create toolpaths yet? ...way too soon?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NCG wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:39 pm Image
We need a direct link to the image...not an indirect one that requires a google sign-in to view
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs