call for screenshots - By Yorik

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jimmihenry

Re: call for screenshots - By Yorik

Post by jimmihenry »

@NewJoker
NewJoker wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:24 am Which software did you use to render the model as shown in the picture (Kingsbright LED Bar.png) ?
Here is a small presentation made with a VRML export from KiCAD imported to FreeCAD. What the KiCAD 3D viewer can do
does FreeCADs viewer also as good or even better. Mostly i believe it is the environmental lightning settings that makes the
difference... This is how i interpret the viewed 3D objects differences. Both viewers are suited for different tasks.

(I would like to add, LED's for KiCAD and other models are available for free @
https://grabcad.com/jimmi.henry-1
including footsteps, native3d and symbol librarys if needed.)

This is my uneducated guess!
Attachments
3D- Viewer Compared.webp
3D- Viewer Compared.webp (940 KiB) Viewed 13682 times
Last edited by jimmihenry on Wed May 24, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhalil

Post by mhalil »

You can visit this page for more... :)
viewtopic.php?t=78331
Attachments
02.png
02.png (465.94 KiB) Viewed 13260 times
01.png
01.png (953.52 KiB) Viewed 13260 times
04.png
04.png (724.62 KiB) Viewed 13495 times
03.png
03.png (186.4 KiB) Viewed 13495 times
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Another LED for KiCAD is finalized. The FreeCAD model images merged in Gimp have been granted a little more effort and some more Gimp features.
Paying with the webp export settings a passable quality could been achieved. Standard settings did not fit the demand in regards to this animation.

Here is a little note how i did this animation:

1. Dealing with multiple "Bodys" i have put them in to a "Part".
2. Than i put the "Part" into another "Part" nesting the first "Part" like the Matroshka Nesting Dolls.
3. Within the second "Part" i tilted the first "Part" by 7° (A little like the Earth axis...) and adjusted the rotation position.
4. Have than put the "Texture mapping" on and ticked the "Environment" box.
4. Used the Screen_Wiki macro for the images, to do so i had to make a compound because of bugs i guess.
5. Used the Screen_Wiki again, this time only with the epoxy LED body in black and a white background for the Gimp glow effect.

Otherwise looking forward to the 0.21 FreeCAD release... Hope to see some more solved issues along side the features :).
Attachments
RGB LED 100.webp
RGB LED 100.webp (942.68 KiB) Viewed 13074 times
iyd2019

Post by iyd2019 »

Hi there,
jimmihenry wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:38 pm Another LED for KiCAD is finalized.
I like your models and presentations. I think I'll like them more if the epoxy capsules weren't so tessellated: did you try to increase the detail level?

Best regards

PS: these are my current values
Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 18.08.35.png
Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 18.08.35.png (166.06 KiB) Viewed 13053 times
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

iyd2019 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:13 pm
I like your models and presentations. I think I'll like them more if the epoxy capsules weren't so tessellated: did you try to increase the detail level?

PS: these are my current values
@iyd2019 Thank you for pointing this out. I did try the settings and made two screenshots. One with the default and another one with the proposed
tessellation settings. Both images were pixel identical. I got used to set my deviation in my tree view. The tessellation errors you see are caused by
making a compound...

Ohhh i see probably i did not set the Deviation like i should! :shock: You are absolutely correct!
Attachments
smmoth...set up.png
smmoth...set up.png (66.88 KiB) Viewed 13017 times
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Here are the errors/ artefacts i get when i make a compound... This time the "Deviation" is set to 0,0500.
Attachments
Compund.png
Compund.png (143.7 KiB) Viewed 13008 times
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

jimmihenry wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:57 pm Here are the errors/ artefacts i get when i make a compound...
I assume you are working here with transparency. Please change in Preferences -> Display -> Rendering
backfacepass.png
backfacepass.png (28.04 KiB) Viewed 12804 times
Transparent objects to Backface pass and retry

cheers
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

jeno wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:03 am I assume you are working here with transparency. Please change in Preferences -> Display -> Renderingbackfacepass
Transparent objects to Backface pass and retry

cheers
Thank you @jeno i am already there....
Attachments
Displaysettings.png
Displaysettings.png (72.8 KiB) Viewed 12686 times
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

I have to apologize for posting a very inaccurate RGB LED model image, the animation is also bollocks. I just discovered a nifty device called a magnifying glass. It was hidden in the kitchen drawer for many years. Today an ancient secret has been revealed. Also managed to dig out my little LED box, what a busy afternoon!

It wasn't the best view on the internals of the light emitting device, the epoxy lens caused some distortions. After all i am convinced the reflective cavity of the LED is an oval. That's how it must felt to discover the earth was round, kind of, maybe a tiny bit. At least it was a surprise for me, the eart is a sphere! The cavity is an oval like the Daytona race track. Image below.

The following image of the RGB LED model has been worked over according to the 5 and 10 mm LEDs i had in my LED box.

View or download the 3D files @ https://grabcad.com/jimmi.henry-1/models

Last thing i would like to mention is that the hardware has rounded edges, the model i made is meant to be used with KiCAD, i decided not to add additional fillets.
Attachments
LED-RGB.webp
LED-RGB.webp (37.91 KiB) Viewed 12267 times
LED_RGB_D10mm.webp
LED_RGB_D10mm.webp (913.98 KiB) Viewed 12267 times
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Hi there,

That's what i just learned, DIP package in the electronic world stands for "dual in line package" because of dual row connection pins.
There are some round connector and leaf connector sockets, i like the leaf ones more... Not that i did ever need them but i have made
a model of a IC socket. I am going forth and back between FreeCAD and KiCAD making a model of my Arduino CNC PCB set. So far i did
connect to the Arduino a Bluetooth shield, a screw shield and at least the CNC shield on top of which the 4 Stepper motor drivers are
connected.

Many if not most of the "home" CNC lasers, CNC engravers, CNC routers, vinyl cutters and pen plotters use a Atmega328P microcontroller
and stepper drivers. There are various PCBs but they all run on a firmware called GRBL that allows to run a G- Code what is essential to
make a CNC machine work...

The cheapest (140$ 2019) CNC toy i found is a 3018 CNC engraving machine capable of engraving and creating PCBs by insulation milling,
if you would like to make some PCB on a CNC device be sure to create a height map for accurate Z depth. All powered by free software!

Follow the link to the 3018 CNC, it is another user showcase here on this forum....
Attachments
DIP-28_W7.62mm_Leafe_Contact.webp
DIP-28_W7.62mm_Leafe_Contact.webp (948.82 KiB) Viewed 11409 times