[Merged] Split Edge function for Sketcher

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Split Edge function for Sketcher

Post by chrisb »

jonasb wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 pm in the other you have to click the position where a new point (that splits both parts) is to be inserted.
And that's where it acts exactly like the fillet tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tpavlicek

Post by tpavlicek »

Hi,

while I agree there is strong similarity how Fillet and Split Edge work (i.e. cut edge and insert radius resp. nothing), it seems to me quite awkward to access the button via "Fillet" group dropdown. Shall we save the precious toolbar space, then I would prefer placing the button in the "Edge Action" group along with Trim Edge and Extend Edge, based on similar command names.

Kind regards,

Tomas
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

To your comments about my proposition i would only point respectfully that you are wrong. Edges in cad do not exist without 2 vertices (points). You cannot split an edge without creating a point (actually technically two coincident points). If you could, the use of the function would still be marginal.

About the localization, to me, associated with "create point" or "trim edge" is equivalent and good.

About auto-symmetry, I think if we want this kind of smarts we'd need a preselection system ala F360, where hovering the mouse generates snap points.
But I don't have a strong opinion against.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

RatonLaveur wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm About auto-symmetry, I think if we want this kind of smarts we'd need a preselection system ala F360, where hovering the mouse generates snap points.
Draft can already do it, so it's not that far away.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tpavlicek

Post by tpavlicek »

Hi Raton,

RatonLaveur wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm To your comments about my proposition i would only point respectfully that you are wrong. Edges in cad do not exist without 2 vertices (points). You cannot split an edge without creating a point (actually technically two coincident points).
of course You are right, there are no edges without endpoints. What I wanted to say is, that we have also "Point" object, i.e. single point without any edge. And such one I would expect the "Create Point" button produces, something, what remains, when I delete both adjacent egdes. But so far, "Split Edge" does not do that. Otherwise I guess we are on the same page here.

It seems each of us thinks a bit differently :-) While Chris would first search along "Fillet" operations, You would go to "Create Point" and every approach has its own logic. Is it possible to put some kind of opinion poll here on forum, so we can place the button according to what most people would prefer?

Kind regards,

Tomas
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sketcher's geometric elements toolbar is divided into three sections:
1) Geometric primitives: point, line, arc, circle, conics, B-spline (yes, in this context I would call them primitive).
2) Shortcuts for creating multiple of the primitives listed in point 1): polyline, rectangle, polygons, slot
3) Modify existing geometry: fillet, trim; with more functions in this section it could rather be called "others".

A Split Edge function would sure belong to section 3 because it modifies existing geometry, while a midpoint would belong to 1). If split edge should get its own place or become a drop down is of less importance to me than to have it in this section.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Chris's wisdom...I follow thee.
Karl1459

Post by Karl1459 »

Regardless of where ever it is placed, in my workflow it will be very useful.
Thanks to all who help develop this project
Hannu

Post by Hannu »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:24 pm Sketcher's geometric elements toolbar is divided into three sections:
1) Geometric primitives: point, line, arc, circle, conics, B-spline (yes, in this context I would call them primitive).
2) Shortcuts for creating multiple of the primitives listed in point 1): polyline, rectangle, polygons, slot
3) Modify existing geometry: fillet, trim; with more functions in this section it could rather be called "others".

A Split Edge function would sure belong to section 3 because it modifies existing geometry, while a midpoint would belong to 1). If split edge should get its own place or become a drop down is of less importance to me than to have it in this section.
Hmm... split edge and I imagine 'split circle' and circle segment would be equally useful.
Some work regarding this can be done with fillet (two options), trim and extend in the sketcher; an additional split that works for edges, circles and circle segments would probably be more handy than one might believe first.

It would sure simplify my workflow ;-) [Hint; not always going straight to what I want to/need create]

edit:
Hmm... Why not a 'JOIN' too, i.e. remove one segment of line - bring the endpoints together (maybe most useful for multiple segments that form a straight line?)... and similar for circle segment...
/Hannu - engineer & mild :geek:
- Embedded, Computer, Software, Electronic, Fault analysis. A&D Photography http://flickr.com/arkane
- Mechanics, FDM 3D-prints, Solder, Lathe, Mill, Weld -work. ISO Audits, Claim, Deviation, Corrective action
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hannu wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm Why not a 'JOIN' too,
Could be useful, indeed.