[Merged] Split Edge function for Sketcher

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tpavlicek

Re: [Merged] Split Edge function for Sketcher

Post by tpavlicek »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 pm I've added mention this to the 0.20 release page but the documentation is still incomplete. I know this feature is still a work in progress nevertheless we should have some documentation explaining how to use it. Someone please step up, thank you!
Hi Kunda1,

I have tried to document the feature a bit, however I am quite a Wiki beginner, so it may not be according to the common expectations. I have also added the item to Sketcher Workbench Geometries commands overview, however I do not know what these <!--T:xxx--> HTML comments mean, so I rather skipped adding such a line.

Kind regards,

Tomas
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

tpavlicek wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 pm I have tried to document the feature a bit, however I am quite a Wiki beginner, so it may not be according to the common expectations. I have also added the item to Sketcher Workbench Geometries commands overview, however I do not know what these <!--T:xxx--> HTML comments mean, so I rather skipped adding such a line.
Don't worry about the formatting, we can fix that.
The <!--T:xxx--> stuff is the translation addon for the wiki. Don't mess with those unless you know what you're doing.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bleber

Post by bleber »

Some possible improvement, Split edge on crossing lines.
LHC

Post by LHC »

Just a quick note and risking cluttering up this thread but had to say "Yay!!! Thanks for the function!" I just got aware of it when I recently downloaded the 0.20 weekly build. Will be using it ALL the time based on my workflow (or lack of organization when sketching :lol: )
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Hi,
It would be great if one could select an existing point instead of creating a new one.
BR
HoWil
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HoWil wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:15 pm It would be great if one could select an existing point instead of creating a new one.
Can you elaborate how it should work?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:57 pm
HoWil wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:15 pm It would be great if one could select an existing point instead of creating a new one.
Can you elaborate how it should work?
Current behaviour:
Selecting the "Sketcher Split"-function lets you add a new point on an existing line. See also https://wiki.freecad.org/Sketcher_Split

New behaviour:
Selecting an existing point on an existing line and thereafter selecting the "Sketcher Split"-function does use the existing point for splitting the line similar to the newly created point from the current behaviour.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

HoWil wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:07 pm New behaviour:
Selecting an existing point on an existing line and thereafter selecting the "Sketcher Split"-function does use the existing point for splitting the line similar to the newly created point from the current behaviour.
Right, I was also thinking about this. It would make it possible to split lines precisely using properly constrained points attached to them.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Some thoughts to be considered:
- Should it split all lines on which the point lies?
- What should happen if a point has a point-on-object constraint on a line, but is not lying on the line itself, but on its extension?
- Is a point being symmetric to the ends of a line considered to lie on the line (I think so)?
- point-to-line tangency should be respected
- point-to-line orthogonal should be respected
Are there more such cases?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.