FreeCAD on ARM processors

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jotagiraldez

Re: Sue

Post by Jotagiraldez »

user1234 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:35 am Hello!
Jotagiraldez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:45 pmFreeCAD does not even run in Surface Pro X
This is an ARM based CPU
Sorry to say but i am pretty sure that no CAD is working on a ARM (except FreeCAD on Linux), like many other programs in general. And this will be probably at least for the next 10 years so (or longer because as i understand ARM is not optimal for CAD or larger permanent calculating intensive programs, except with cooling (and then you can use amd64 also)).

ALWAYS check the CPU and GPU when you want to use it for CAD (often the have lists of compatible components, but sometimes the wont work either).

Greetings
user1234

Incorrect, Surface Pro X (Which is ARM) can run x86 programs due to internal Microsoft hardware and software emulations. I am successfully running an older version of Freecad 32 bit. But currently it is not running the latest 0.19 x64 version. The Freecad team must start providing support for ARM of platform.
Jotagiraldez

Post by Jotagiraldez »

user1234 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:35 am Hello!
Jotagiraldez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:45 pmFreeCAD does not even run in Surface Pro X
This is an ARM based CPU
Sorry to say but i am pretty sure that no CAD is working on a ARM (except FreeCAD on Linux), like many other programs in general. And this will be probably at least for the next 10 years so (or longer because as i understand ARM is not optimal for CAD or larger permanent calculating intensive programs, except with cooling (and then you can use amd64 also)).

ALWAYS check the CPU and GPU when you want to use it for CAD (often the have lists of compatible components, but sometimes the wont work either).

Greetings
user1234

Incorrect, Surface Pro X (Which is ARM) can run x86 programs due to internal Microsoft hardware and software emulations. I am successfully running an older version of Freecad 32 bit. But currently it is not running the latest 0.19 x64 version. The Freecad team must start providing support for ARM of platform.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pm The Freecad team must start providing support for ARM of platform.
Perhaps you should re-phrase "must" to "should" or "ought to". :D
Jotagiraldez

Post by Jotagiraldez »

Bance wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:32 pm
Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pm The Freecad team must start providing support for ARM of platform.
Perhaps you should re-phrase "must" to "should" or "ought to". :D
No need to rephrase, It think the language is clear.
Especially after announcements by Apple and others to abandon Intel platforms.
I am sure FreeCAD dev is already clear on Intel cannot continue to murphy's Law.
So all OEM are looking into ARM now.

After 2020 major move towards ARM, (Apple, Microsoft, and major OEM, will switch to ARM)
The future of mobile platforms is going ARM,
The future of PC is ARM
Linux is also going ARM (look at ubuntu for mobile, phones.. etc)

FreeCAD team MUST support ARM. That is it.

Otherwise, the user base will be reduced in the coming years.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm ...

FreeCAD team MUST support ARM. That is it.

Well, the prolific and large development team will get right on that in their copious spare time.

...oh wait 🤔 they are a few volunteers who work on it in their personal spare time...

That IS it.

What you'll note is that things really move fast when people actually jump in and help out.

So, pull a fork and drop it on you favorite ARM machine and fire up the compiler.

:mrgreen:

And, frankly, I'd prefer to see the whole of the real thunder branch (most importantly the tnp fix) be merged before worrying about more hardware platforms to support.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Thank you so much for your, clearly very informed opinion.

Now get your sleeves rolled up!
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pmIncorrect, Surface Pro X (Which is ARM) can run x86 programs due to internal Microsoft hardware and software emulations. I am successfully running an older version of Freecad 32 bit. But currently it is not running the latest 0.19 x64 version. The Freecad team must start providing support for ARM of platform.
x86 != x64 and emulation is not the same and often works poor especially in combination with graphic cards. And as i wrote, arm64 is supported (in this case, hardware is included), but not for windows. If you want that on Windows,
drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 pmSo, pull a fork and drop it on you favorite ARM machine and fire up the compiler.
+1
Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm I am sure FreeCAD dev is already clear on Intel cannot continue to murphy's Law.
This sentence make so no sense.
Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm FreeCAD team MUST support ARM. That is it.
Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm Linux is also going ARM (look at ubuntu for mobile, phones.. etc)
Phones, mobile devices, but no CAD!
Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm The future of PC is ARM
I doubt that, at least for working PCs, fun o' fun devices for facebooking and that crap not included. And now you want to blame FreeCAD that
Jotagiraldez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:45 pm I bought the 1800 USD computer so I can do CAD with FreeCAD.
you are too dumb to looking what CAD (all CADs programs, non run on arm64 except FreeCAD on Linux) needs.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:26 am you are too dumb to looking what CAD (all CADs programs, non run on arm64 except FreeCAD on Linux) needs.
While I share some of your thoughts at least partially, I would appreciate a more decent wording.
Jotagiraldez wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm FreeCAD team MUST support ARM. That is it.
As a user of this software you could well be thought a member of the team. So go ahead, your pull request will be highly appreciated.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD on ARM processors

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:51 am I would appreciate a more decent wording.
True. As i am often dirty at working, my mouth often gets dirty as well. Sorry for that.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD on ARM processors

Post by chrisb »

Thanks.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.