FreeCAD on ARM processors

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Draemon

FreeCAD on ARM processors

Post by Draemon »

Have been using freecad for a few months and really like it. My main computer went down and I got a surface pro x to replace it thinking I could just use it for projects. Installed fine but says it won't run on this device. Anyone know a work around or different version I could try? It has windows 10 64 bit so it should work but it won't open.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Sue

Post by jmaustpc »

Draemon wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:42 pm surface pro x
According to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Pro_X
you have bought a computer with an ARM cpu not x86. Very bad idea if you want easy access to compatible software. Although their performance is improving all the time, ARM is still a primarily low power energy efficient risk architecture cpu. For power applications like CAD, x86 makes more sense at this point in history.

Also not that (I only just found out) some new computers are now being sold with a cut down/restricted Windows that will only allow you to install applications from the MS application store! So make sure you have a "real" non-restricted Windows on any new machine, or at least understand what you are buying.

I know some here have succeeded in getting FreeCAD up and running on a Raspberry PI 4, which has an ARM CPU, but that is on Linux with a full open source stack, so less issues compiling. I have no idea if anybody has yet or ever will compile for Windows ARM.

At this point in history, the best energy efficiency yet powerful new CPU is the AMD Ryzen series, the latest just release is leaving Intel in the dust for energy efficiency but also outright performance.
Jotagiraldez

Post by Jotagiraldez »

FreeCAD does not even run in Surface Pro X
This is an ARM based CPU, after Apple moved to ARM, I thought FreeCAD will start supporting this type of architecture.
I bought the 1800 USD computer so I can do CAD with FreeCAD.
I was wrong. Learned my lesson quickly enough.

FreeCAD team must start on ARM based released,
Most laptops are moving into ARM based released following Apple ARM laptops are coming into the market.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-01 173145.png
Screenshot 2021-06-01 173145.png (184.25 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
Screenshot 2021-06-01 173132.png
Screenshot 2021-06-01 173132.png (446.27 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

hmm...I was running FreeCAD on a Raspberry PI just today...ran ok.
🤔
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Jotagiraldez

Post by Jotagiraldez »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 pm hmm...I was running FreeCAD on a Raspberry PI just today...ran ok.

Raspberry Pi ARM is Linux based, I am talking about FreeCAD version 0.19 64 bit for Windows 10 running on MS Surface Pro X

Frecad 0.18 x32 bit runs ok in Microsoft surface X, but my issue is specific with the 0.19 version of FreeCAD not compatible with Windows 20 in Surface Pro X.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jotagiraldez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:45 pm FreeCAD team must start on ARM based released,
If they really must do it, there may be a problem: There is no posssibility forcing the team to do something - except if you join the team and do it yourself. Or maybe if you provide the hardware for the developers.
As FreeCAD runs on other Arm based hardware, you have a good chance that self compiling on your machine will do the job.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

What has the Title of this post to do with the content?

Please re-name to something appropriate.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Jotagiraldez wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:29 am
drmacro wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 pm hmm...I was running FreeCAD on a Raspberry PI just today...ran ok.

Raspberry Pi ARM is Linux based, I am talking about FreeCAD version 0.19 64 bit for Windows 10 running on MS Surface Pro X

Frecad 0.18 x32 bit runs ok in Microsoft surface X, but my issue is specific with the 0.19 version of FreeCAD not compatible with Windows 20 in Surface Pro X.
Sounds like you must learn how to add a VM and run FreeCAD there. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!
Jotagiraldez wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:45 pmFreeCAD does not even run in Surface Pro X
This is an ARM based CPU
Sorry to say but i am pretty sure that no CAD is working on a ARM (except FreeCAD on Linux), like many other programs in general. And this will be probably at least for the next 10 years so (or longer because as i understand ARM is not optimal for CAD or larger permanent calculating intensive programs, except with cooling (and then you can use amd64 also)).

ALWAYS check the CPU and GPU when you want to use it for CAD (often the have lists of compatible components, but sometimes the wont work either).

Greetings
user1234
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Bance wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:35 am What has the Title of this post to do with the content?

Please re-name to something appropriate.
agreed
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs