Creating a 3D-printable toy with FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
watsug

Re: Creating a 3D-printable toy with FreeCAD

Post by watsug »

Nice project, and awesome that you release it all as open source!

I agree with the use in education, we've used LEGO technic in courses about product development with concept generation, selection and testing (on university level). The availability and open design of the parts mean it would be easier to modify and adapt the pieces for specialized functionality, that can be printed directly.
Stemfie3D

Post by Stemfie3D »

bitacovir wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:30 pm Here a example that can be replicated:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-library
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11610
Thank you, bitacovir, for this suggestion. I'll dig into this and publish the STEMFIE files there. :)
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Could be a challenge for freecad's users to create some new models.😉
Stemfie3D

Post by Stemfie3D »

GlouGlou wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:10 am Could be a challenge for freecad's users to create some new models.😉
That would be great to see what FreeCAD users will make in the future. 👍
enginy3D

Post by enginy3D »

Hello Paulo, congratulations for the project!

It's my first post so I don't know how to quote different posts, I wanted to comment some things of the thread and share my work on STEMFIE to know what do you think about.

First thing that I wanted to mention relates to Meccano's inspiration. Looking for examples to build on internet I found "BrickYard" that is quite similar to the Standard you propose. Could it derive in a license/rights issue? Hope that nope.

Second thing is about how to work on FreeCAD with templates and how to speed up new model test assemblies. I've studied yours, made in Part Design WB, and what I thought was that it could be done more efficiently on Part WB. The computation of Patterns (Part Design WB) is quite slower in comparison to Arrays (Part WB+Draft). By other hand, automate the sunk "TopSunkenLayer" and the Chamfers in Part WB becomes harder. But, in order to speed up the creation of new models, can be used RAW parts, I mean without aesthetics such Sunks, Chamfers and Logo. Those aesthetics can be added after the creative process.

These are the parametric parts I drew:
stemfie-plantilla-v-0-1.png
stemfie-plantilla-v-0-1.png (120.51 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
See how the objects are attached one to each other using Map Mode, p.e.: a Cylinder+Cube+Cylinder (like a shaft key). I've used Formula inside Cylinder's Map Mode (rotation Z axis) to manage angled parts, letting to rotate different objects at once by the modification of just one parameter on a Spreadsheet.

The use of a Template I think should be like:
- modify Spreadsheet according to needed dimensions >> make a Simple Copy from Part WB
- copy+paste this Simple Copy to a new document and save >> assemble all parts on A2+ (easiest WB to learn and play with)

I'm encouraging different groups of people to take part of STEMFIE's project (making new models physically or by assembling it on FreeCAD) but in order to assemble parts on A2+ a .FCStd file or a .STEP file is needed. That's why I decided to parameterize new parts. In a post from you I read that at the moment there are only available STLs, and then, when new parts will be tested, you will publish them. I think that sharing those A2+ workable parts (FCStd & STEP) will help to generate new models digitally. STLs must to be transformed to a Solid and then be re-worked/re-holed to be able to use Concentric Restrictions on assembly.

I'm a member of 3DprintBCN. We organize the Printer Party of Barcelona and we have chosen your project to work on it, helping to grow it and involving people as much as possible. There is no business in between, we are volunteers, the event is free and all printed parts will be donated as charity to an educational center.

I've attached the template, let me know your thoughts!
STEMFIE PLANTILLA NUEVA - PART WB_v.0.1.FCStd
(309.92 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Artur @enginy3D
enginy3D

Post by enginy3D »

Hello again! Since last day I've been working on the template and I fixed and added some parts. Regards

https://github.com/enginy3D/STEMFIE_pro ... .1.0.FCStd

Attachments
STEMFIE RAW TEMPLATE v.0.1.0.png
STEMFIE RAW TEMPLATE v.0.1.0.png (596.97 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Artur @enginy3D
Stemfie3D

Post by Stemfie3D »

Hi, Artur! :)

Thank you for your kind words about the STEMFIE project and for your contributions! I like the thought being able to make dynamic STEMFIE parts; I've thought of many different ways of doing it, both in FreeCAD but also using OpenSCAD and CadQuery.

Nevertheless, since my STEMFIE project is a one-man-band, I have limited time and, therefore, I am focusing now on designing an array of all the standard parts (static) in different sizes and configurations. In due time the dynamic parts will evolve and I appreciate all the help the project can get. I also encourage everyone to make parts and expand the system.

I love the fact that you are using STEMFIE at a 3D-printer party in Barcelona! :-D Years ago, I visited Barcelona when I worked with McNeel, the company making Rhino 3D. I love your city and the people! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all make with the STEMFIE toy!

Regarding the fasteners - the threaded and cam-locking versions – check the link below:

https://stemfie.org/temp/STEMFIE.org_sa ... -files.zip

Stay tuned at stemfie.org and the newsletter for future releases. :-)
enginy3D

Post by enginy3D »

Thank you Paulo! :) Those Steps will be very useful to assemble parts on FreeCAD. I'll stay tuned! ;)
Artur @enginy3D