Ticket #6110: When running FC 0.19 on Windows 7, it returns errors in the Report window

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Ticket #6110: When running FC 0.19 on Windows 7, it returns errors in the Report window

Post by GeneFC »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:46 pm I agree that is a common case but it is not what happens here, FreeCAD works fine with older version of python but not with 3.8. In another thread I had joyas check his path variable and there was no other python version interfering. Python 3.8 supposedly requires a specific update of windows 7 to work correctly, I suspect those who have the error don't have that update. Or their processors don't have some instruction used by FreeCAD.
I do not think it is related to Windows update. I would guess that virtually every W7 user is on SP1, since it has been around for more than 10 years. Almost every other "update" was security-related. The exception might be the dot-net stuff, but I do not know how much FC depends on dot-net.

Yes, there was a problem with processor instructions that do not exist on some older Intel processors (older meaning something like 4 years.) I have two computers on W7, one with the extended instruction set and one without. No problems running the vary latest FC on either.

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Ticket #6110: When running FC 0.19 on Windows 7, it returns errors in the Report window

Post by GeneFC »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:19 pm So do you have your own fork of FC and build without said python links ?
Absolutely plain vanilla.

I clone the FC master with GitHub Desktop, and use that as my source, with zero adjustments or changes. I use the latest Apeltauer LibPack, again totally unchanged. I use plain CMake (currently 3.16.6), and Visual Studio 2019 (automatically updated).

I start completely clean in new folders to prevent any carry-over. No links to anything that is not in the LibPack, other than the standard MS "installable" support files for the compiler.

Always works.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:26 pm I do not think it is related to Windows update. I would guess that virtually every W7 user is on SP1
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/585 ... t-with-sp1
It's not about SP1 or not, also some of these error cases may come from pirated versions of win 7 that are not easy to update.
Yes, there was a problem with processor instructions that do not exist on some older Intel processors (older meaning something like 4 years.) I have two computers on W7, one with the extended instruction set and one without. No problems running the vary latest FC on either.
Yeah those issues were solved, I don't know if there are other instructions that might cause trouble so I mentioned the possibility. If any of the people that have the issue could compile and see if that works it would be nice.
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

Finally, I got this error solved, I installed a Windows update (Windows6.1-KB3063858-x64.msu) and it worked. I was very afraid of installing it. I was using a development 0.19 version that worked fine during this time ("if it works, don't fix it"). Now I'm running a development version (0.20) that didn't work previously, I will install the latest version soon.

Thank you very much for your help.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.