Dimension a pitch circle in Tech Draw.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Dimension a pitch circle in Tech Draw.

Post by jmaustpc »

CrashedAgain wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:30 pm Yes, it can be done but at present must be done manually fir each individual dimension. I would like to see it as a preference option. In the other post someone suggested making a macro but not everyone has the skill to do that.
that is a good idea, that is to set a preferred default value in preference.

Just to be clear thought you do not have to change all the values one at a time, it is possible to just put up with the default value until the job is nearly finished then multi select all the diameter dimension, then toggle to property and that property will change in all selected items at once. To multi select, 1st select the first item, then hold down the CTRL key while selecting the rest. You can do the same with shift key except it will select all items in the list between first and second click, whereas CTRL key just selects each item clicked on.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

I have created a tracker bug report on the opening existing files issue. Hope I did it correctly.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

CrashedAgain wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:44 am I have created a tracker bug report on the opening existing files issue. Hope I did it correctly.
Please post a link to the ticket here in this topic and copy this topic's URL into the comment in the ticket. If you have not already done so. :)
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the link. To include a link to the tracker it is sufficient to know the number and use the bug button as so:

Code: Select all

[bug]4449[/bug]
which will show as issue #4449.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
andergrin

Post by andergrin »

jmaustpc wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:59 pm Good point, I had tried something similar earlier and it failed because I had not mapped the sketch to the face of the solid so the sketch imported to TD view as a filled face rather than just an edge. However I just tried what you said, then you have to multi select the solid and the mapped sketch while holding the ctrl key, then create the TechDraw View.

Then select just the circle edge, then use the TechDraw "edite selected line" tool and change it to dotted or other and change the weight to (in my example) "0.40".

A good work around!
That is the great technique to add pitch circle (and other lines). It needs to be on the Tech Draw Wiki page, maybe I will add step-by-step tutorial.
PS: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_Pitch_Circle
jdm

Post by jdm »

andergrin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:21 am That is the great technique to add pitch circle (and other lines). It needs to be on the Tech Draw Wiki page, maybe I will add step-by-step tutorial.
PS: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_Pitch_Circle
That page is no more, link to tutorial:
https://wiki.freecad.org/TechDraw_Pitch_Circle_Tutorial
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

That works. Also works using Part WB instead of Part Design.
.....and I discovered the "Sketcher External" command which I had not know about previously. Bonus!!!