Texture mapping

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Re: Texture mapping

Post by dprojects »

UbunTux wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:49 am It allows you to cut the image into 3 parts: the background and the wings and to distribute them over 3 objects instead of having just one.
that's the thinking out-of-box ;-)
UbunTux wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:49 am So thank you again.
You found the correct way ;-) not me ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

UbunTux wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:00 pm cinemascope type panorama with 2 black bands.
However, you can make the black bands transparent so this part of object disappear ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

UbunTux

Post by UbunTux »

In fact, with this new distribution, there is no longer even a need to increase the height of the interior of the U. :D

drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Hmm...have you considered using sverchok nodes to take the model into Blender and use the images as a world background.

I think it would be less fuss, since Blender is sort specialized for such thkngs.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

UbunTux wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:34 am In fact, with this new distribution, there is no longer even a need to increase the height of the interior of the U. :D
Yes, because it was problem with too big top size in relation to front ;-) but why the U shape is blue? it is intentional? you have color applied at objects so it mask the texture behind the color, the U has different color tone than edges.

I changed it little bit, set color white for everything and for Body -> View -> Display Mode set to Shaded and also minimal line size with dotted style, so the connection lines are not visible now.

Attachments
DecorTest.FCStd
(29.28 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

UbunTux

Post by UbunTux »

Why is the background blue? In my preferences, each newly created object has a different color.
If it's a dark color, I see it immediately and correct it as needed. But since I'm color blind, I don't necessarily react when the colors are very light.

On the final model, I had taken care to apply a white to keep the naturalness of the texture.
On the other hand, I hadn't thought to also put the lines in white and to switch to shade for the display. Good idea.

Finally :

The file is too heavy for the forum. Link :
https://we.tl/t-WoYTJoKFwd
UbunTux

Post by UbunTux »

drmacro wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 am Hmm...have you considered using sverchok nodes to take the model into Blender and use the images as a world background.

I think it would be less fuss, since Blender is sort specialized for such thkngs.
I discover the existence of sverchok nodes. It looks very powerful.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=61373
But for the occasional use I have here, once the framework is in place, the setTexture solution is very easy to implement with different backgrounds.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

UbunTux wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:23 am
But for the occasional use I have here, once the framework is in place, the setTexture solution is very easy to implement with different backgrounds.
Same can be said for Blender, and far more realism can be achieved.

It was just an FYI note. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

UbunTux wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:23 am Why is the background blue? In my preferences, each newly created object has a different color.
If it's a dark color, I see it immediately and correct it as needed. But since I'm color blind, I don't necessarily react when the colors are very light.
Maybe the FreeCAD preferences? or theme? normally all new objects should be grey (204, 204, 204), the blue background is ok, this is the FreeCAD default.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects