Texture mapping

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AshAsh

Texture mapping

Post by AshAsh »

Hi,

I have been trying to use the texture mapping in the Part design Workbench, it is an .Jpeg image and I am not able to resize it and moreover the moment I close the Texture mapping dialog box the texture disappears it does not get saved on the Part, can anyone explain this.

Regards,
Ash.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Texture mapping

Post by Roy_043 »

The Part WB does not have a texture mapping feature that I am aware of. But if you mean the Std_TextureMapping command: as explained in the documentation the effect is temporary.

Maybe you should try the ArchTextures add-on workbench? Add-ons can be installed with the Std_AddonMgr command.
Note: I have never used that WB.

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Seem Furti is busy and not updating ArchTexture Addon at the moment ?
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Hi.

I will post under this topic because my problem is related to it.

I don't understand the operation of the option (Environment) available in the task panel for this function. :roll:
I am posting some images of how this feature works with and without the Environment option checked.

IuuI1V7.png
IuuI1V7.png (117.78 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
https://imgur.com/IuuI1V7

Q4A6fQX.png
Q4A6fQX.png (66.02 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
https://imgur.com/Q4A6fQX

mlp9SDb.png
mlp9SDb.png (127.73 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
https://imgur.com/mlp9SDb

I have the impression that texture mapping is a young experimental function.
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

AshAsh wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:27 am Texture mapping dialog box the texture disappears it does not get saved
The FreeCAD Texture Mapping feature is very good and it works correctly. Textures are too heavy to store them in the project file directly, so the temporary view is correct approach here. Also if you share you project you can't store texture disk path there. This command is good for quick texture preview and select the correct one to apply permanently (store), I use it like that all the time.

To solve this problem I've already created setTextures. You can store at you project direct URL to your texture. So there is no problem with too heavy files, or share it between people. The texture can be loaded from the internet.

However, I came across several issues with the open file parser again, if you use Link, LinkGroups, expressions and your own properties like it is at simple chair example you have to use latest weekly FreeCAD version to have stored textures and load them later.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

dprojects wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:24 am
AshAsh wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:27 am Texture mapping dialog box the texture disappears it does not get saved
The FreeCAD Texture Mapping feature is very good and it works correctly. Textures are too heavy to store them in the project file directly, so the temporary view is correct approach here. Also if you share you project you can't store texture disk path there. This command is good for quick texture preview and select the correct one to apply permanently (store), I use it like that all the time.

Hmm...I tried it the other day with the latest 0.20 code and it produced no change in the 3D view. I.e. it did not map the chosen image to the chosen face. Didn't have time to troubleshoot and since I didn't really need it, I never got back to look at what wrong.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

dprojects your post is helpful to me but does not solve my problem.
I still don't know what to expect when I turn on the Environment option.
I use the sample texture files included with the program.

Since I am a GUI and Wiki FC translator, I am using the testing version of FreeCAD.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.28193 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

drmacro wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:16 am Hmm...I tried it the other day with the latest 0.20 code and it produced no change in the 3D view. I.e. it did not map the chosen image to the chosen face.
The FreeCAD Texture Mapping don't work with faces. It only apply texture for all available objects. But I found it very useful for quick preview.
I am not sure if at FreeCAD there is way to apply texture per face, you know different texture on each face. For sure there is possibility to rotate the face but I didn't look at this yet so deeply.

Also I found some issues with Texture Mapping FreeCAD feature if you have already applied texture. This is not able to change texture. However, this can be beneficial if you want to check textures only where the texture is not applied yet ;-)

With my tool you can apply also texture at object not face but added value to this you can store it at object and share the project with texture without making project file too heavy.
Last edited by dprojects on Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

kaktus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:39 pm I still don't know what to expect when I turn on the Environment option.
I don't understand this option too. Też tego nie rozumiem ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

;)

so it would be helpful if the author explained how this option works.
I think that many users would also be satisfied if there was a scaling option. :idea: