Modern UI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Re: Modern UI

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I removed workbench names from section names. You can see difference at the screenshot.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/48224139
Attachments
Section Names.png
Section Names.png (220.51 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Mesh toolbar look awesome now,really quick fix :o ! :
2021-03-04 20_13_50-.png
2021-03-04 20_13_50-.png (133.96 KiB) Viewed 8243 times
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Nice ;)
Joan

Post by Joan »

Very nice work. 8-)

Though, I come from Inventor and have started with it when they still had vertical "workbenches" on the left side of the screen and never moved on to the GUI design change to have all toolbars at the upper edge of a window/screen that MS favored.
Nowadays with widescreen monitors I always favor having a bit more vertical space, which is why I still run it like this after all those years (and try to set up other CAD tools similarly if possible).

My question thus - can your Modern UI do this too - vertical toolbars/workbenches?
I tried, but had no luck. It seems to be stuck at the top edge of the screen :-(
Is there any setting I miss?
Thanks
Inventor with vertical 'workbenches' and maximum vertical screen estate (not even file/edit/view/etc. menu)
Inventor with vertical 'workbenches' and maximum vertical screen estate (not even file/edit/view/etc. menu)
ModernUI_Vertical2.jpg (211.68 KiB) Viewed 7947 times
Last edited by Joan on Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Innovation makes enemies of all those who prospered under the old regime, and only lukewarm support is forthcoming from those who would prosper under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I've seen vertical workbench toolbars on zolko's (the assembly4 dev's) GUI
as seen in this screenshotImage
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

zisoft

Post by zisoft »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:57 am I've seen vertical workbench toolbars on zolko's (the assembly4 dev's) GUI
This is TabBar: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=13368
Joan

Post by Joan »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 am Maybe you want to look at this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55779
Ah, thx for the pointer. Much appreciated. Looks more where I would like to go it seems :)
"Innovation makes enemies of all those who prospered under the old regime, and only lukewarm support is forthcoming from those who would prosper under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli
ohmer

Post by ohmer »

Hello,

Thanks for this great addon. I found two littles annoyances/bugs.

First, when I start FreeCAD, the icons are not visibles. I need to click on a workbench ribbon to make the buttons visibles.

The second is a downgrade in usability compared to default UI. When I create a sketch with the default UI, the sketcher workbench is switched on and I gain access to the sketcher toolbar. With Modern UI, I have to select the Sketcher ribbon manually when I create a sketch in Part Design. It would be great if Modern UI could automatically switch on the right ribbon based on the current context.

I'm running FreeCAD Link daily 2021.07.17 on Ubuntu 20.04.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

ohmer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 pm First, when I start FreeCAD, the icons are not visibles. I need to click on a workbench ribbon to make the buttons visibles.
This was recently addressed by functionality coded by @chennes. Read more about it on Preferences_Editor#Workbenches
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs