Modern UI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Modern UI

Post by chrisb »

I stopped watching the video at the point when it asks "Do you waste valuable time ...?". So please give a link with a time code to a point where it gets interesting.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ManOfScience

Post by ManOfScience »

Very good work!

I assume you extracted the descriptions from the Tool-tip code?
I would switch to Modern, if only to get the 'Icons+Words' option instead of 'Icons Only'.

I know that it's not popular to cater to broad-user-base functionality instead of expert-user efficiency, but with 1043 icons in FreeCad, lacking visible descriptions basically excludes a vast group of potential users from ever learning the software. This UI with the 'Icons+Description' feature you have shown could help a *lot* of people!
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:10 am I decided to rewrite it in C++ and implement it directly to FreeCAD, if I reach 1000$ at Patreon. If you want to see this, you can support me.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/HakanSeven12
Love this.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

johnwang wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:53 am Love this.
Cancelled.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

After a while of using an old version of FreeCAD when I wanted to use ModernUI I thought I would look at
implementing my mods/combined work bench system on the later 0.19/L3 versions.

I have got most to work again relatively easily, but before I start improving the scripting to
generate bespoke workbenches I wondered if

1) It is planned to maintain ModernUI? I noticed that the plan to convert to C++ seems to have been cancelled
and there are a number of postings about combining with LinkStage3.

2) If (1) positive, I will continue and wondered if there is a way of not displaying the File and Structure areas in the 'ribbon' without causing
issues, e.g. a simple switch, commented line....

Many Thanks

BW
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I'm very busy nowadays. So I didn't touch anything for awhile about FreeCAD. I'm not planning to do something for now. Maybe later.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Thank you for the fast reply, and very glad you now have work.

I assume from the answer RT didn't pick the idea up with the
aim to include it in linkstage 3.

If you think it is possible to switch the File/Structure areas off cleanly
and sometime you have a few minutes to see how, I would
be grateful for a post or PM. I have been looking through
the code but haven't yet managed without crashing ModernUI.

BW
Outsourced

Post by Outsourced »

This Workbench is a game changer, the ability to read the icon has halved my pain killer usage. Thankyou!
I need to point out what may or not be a bug thou, if you 'by accident' drag the M_UI of the dock its Very Painful to relocate & redock, It appears this is more a problem in LS3.
The only I know to fix it is to drag the Tree Panel over the M_UI until it picks up the M_UI, redock both & the proceed to undock Tree Panel if required.
grd

Post by grd »

@HakanSeven12 Thanks a lot for your work. I think that I also want to do something what you did, but this time with a proper Ribbon Bar. I wrote it down in this post viewtopic.php?t=75791

But then I saw your work and I am impressed by it. My idea was to just write the GUI in C++ but I hate C++ and then someone pointed me to your idea. I like the idea that a guy can just set the Modern UI on or off (with a restart of course), but I have two ideas that could make this really working:

1. @obelisk79 came up with this https://github.com/haiiliin/pyqtribbon/ Now I don't really like the childish look but IMO this could be a better look and feel.

2. If you really want this to work then I think you should also have to set the three ways to do this inside the options menu viewtopic.php?p=658468#p658468 and also to create shortcut keys.

So if you are interested then maybe we can work together.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

That looks nice. Even better than modern ui. If there is enough interest with this maybe I can open a discussion and ask for donations for this project and if I get it I can work on this. Nice idea btw.