Import step export ifc

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
hanslammerts

Import step export ifc

Post by hanslammerts »

Hi, could you dive in the translation between inporting step and exporting ifc? The thing is parts are not recognized and translated to unique ifc members. Freecad has the potential to be a great help for ifc translation. But this geometry malfunction has to be corrected imo.

See att.

Kind regards
Hans
Attachments
Screenshot_20191026-140610_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191026-140610_Gallery.jpg (412.79 KiB) Viewed 10315 times
bernd
Veteran

Re: Import step export ifc

Post by bernd »

I have been using FreeCAD for step2ifc for years too.

Would you post some simple example geometry you have problems with?
hanslammerts

Post by hanslammerts »

What is step2ifc? The step files come from Inventor and AutoCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@Hans it's almost impossible to know the problem if you just say "it doesn't work", and we have no clue in your screenshots..
Normally importing step files should work fine, and exporting them to ifc too, as Bernd says, many people have been doing this for a long time. There could be some problem in your step file, or a specific object that is hard to translate for some reason. But it's impossible to know without trying or at least seeing ourselves. Could you attach here a problematic step file?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Also I *think* IfcOpenShell is now able to convert step files to ifc directly... That might be a faster, alternative option.
CadExchanger does it too, but it's not free
hanslammerts

Post by hanslammerts »

Here is the step file. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Cellar toren set.zip
(184.13 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
hanslammerts

Post by hanslammerts »

Btw that ifcopenshell has no graphic interface, only some dos like commandline. Maybe somebody else knows how to kickdtatt it. Not me
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

hanslammerts wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:08 am What is step2ifc? The step files come from Inventor and AutoCAD.
This is what I use FreeCAD for. Load the ifc into FreeCAD Gui, export the modell from FreeCAD to ifc. One could write this in a small python script. Hey in conjunction with tornado webserver we could make a online converter from this easily ...

Nevermind here is what hans would like to convert. Not an easy job for FreeCAD ...

screen1.png
screen1.png (366.3 KiB) Viewed 10079 times

This is what FreeCAD exported without any special user interaction, just export. Wow :D . I rember years ago I had to make the meshes manually because the export was not as good as expected.

screen2.png
screen2.png (507.73 KiB) Viewed 10079 times

The only disadvantage ... The file is 62 MB due to meshing all surfaces. But other CAD would not do any better. Allplan even meshes cricular columns ...

BTW IFC4 supports nurbs, but this does not yet work as it should do. I did some tests and have been in contact with thomas in this regard. There is an issue on ifcopenshell github. https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/586 which links to an topic on BuildingSmart (https://forums.buildingsmart.org/t/dwg- ... ifc/1970/4) which shows some known geometry hans :mrgreen:
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

With the NURBS stuff, IFC can reach the same level of accuracy and shape fidelity as STEP... We should really start testing this more (in FreeCAD, IFC options -> Use serializer). The only unfortunate thing is that only IfcOpenShell so far seems to support it well, so it's hard to test with other apps
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Does ifcos support export too? This would be a good start. Write and read them.