GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (GSOC is over, thanks to everyone involved!)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kryptokommunist

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by kryptokommunist »

Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:13 pm
Suraj Dadral wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:52 pm Hi @Zolko

You need to choose tag "freecad" while submitting draft proposal under proposal details. I attached screenshot for reference.
Thank-you for your help, but I must be really stupid: in which page do you get those options ? What is the starting point ? I see many links to everything, but I don't find one that would say: click here to apply. Does such a link exist ?
Your submission there has to be made by the student. You can't submit a proposal that students then apply to. The student has to submit a proposal there and then it will be accepted/denied. You first click on the "Students apply now" link at https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com. Then you get the options.
Zolko
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Voice your opinion and ideas about what to propose for the next gsoc)

Post by Zolko »

kryptokommunist wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:30 pm Your submission there has to be made by the student. You can't submit a proposal that students then apply to.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ... kling kling kling (die Münze ist gefallen) now I understand. OK, thank-you.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Sudhanshu wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 pm Hey,
Sorry for being so late to the party!

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm I would have some idea in FEM ...

Extend the examples. This is easy to do for someone with a bit knowledge of FEM and Python. No deeper knowledge o FreeCAD FEM is needed. See https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... emexamples The idea is to extend this list
This idea about FEM examples extension got my attention and I am excited to work on it.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44705
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

bernd wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:02 pm

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm I would have some idea in FEM ...

Extend the examples. This is easy to do for someone with a bit knowledge of FEM and Python. No deeper knowledge o FreeCAD FEM is needed. See https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... emexamples The idea is to extend this list
This idea about FEM examples extension got my attention and I am excited to work on it.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44705
Thanks @bernd. :)
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

I have a strong grasp of Python and basic idea about FEM and also how FEM works in FreeCAD (due to my last involvement with trying to add Felt solver (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33463))

From what I saw on that link, there are already some examples of FEM there (especially those involving meshes).
So what other examples are we talking about when planning to expand the list and also, how many?
Here is my draft proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cM6 ... sp=sharing

Please review and give feedback.
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Submit your Draft proposals by March 31st!)

Post by sgrogan »

Sudhanshu wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm Please review and give feedback.
Thanks for the proposal.
It is very good that you have scheduled "back-up days", things usually take longer than initially intended.

Can you elaborate on what mesher(s) and solver(s) you plan to use? Unfortunately there is still some variance, in what is supported for FreeCAD, based on OS/platform/distribution channel.
"fight the good fight"
kryptokommunist

I plan on submitting two GSoC proposals to FreeCAD since I like "A better IPython and Jupyter Notebook Integration for FreeCAD" as well as Zolkos suggestion "Measurement tool for FreeCAD" and it's unclear to me if someone would be willing to mentor the first one.

So here's my first draft proposal: "A better IPython and Jupyter Notebook Integration for FreeCAD". I would highly appreciate feedback, be it just some general remarks :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgf ... sp=sharing
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kryptokommunist wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 pm be it just some general remarks
Thanks for the proposal.
Could you explain a little about "suitable JavaScript library"
FreeCAD is cross-platform, so what are some of the selection criteria for this library?
"fight the good fight"
kryptokommunist

sgrogan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 pm
kryptokommunist wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 pm be it just some general remarks
Thanks for the proposal.
Could you explain a little about "suitable JavaScript library"
FreeCAD is cross-platform, so what are some of the selection criteria for this library?
Sure, the main criteria I see are:

• How healthy is the open source community developing it? (documentation, active repo)
  • Does it allow interactivity? (changing camera view, zooming)
  • How much work is needed to display the result in IPython? (are there Python bridges that implement parts or do I have to generate the Javascript myself)
  • How well can I port FreeCADs Open Inventor scene graph to the libraries scene graph?
  • How easy could I port FreeCADs 3D view controls?
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:28 pm
Sudhanshu wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm Please review and give feedback.
Thanks for the proposal.
It is very good that you have scheduled "back-up days", things usually take longer than initially intended.
Yeah, thanks for reviewing.

sgrogan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:28 pm Can you elaborate on what mesher(s) and solver(s) you plan to use? Unfortunately there is still some variance, in what is supported for FreeCAD, based on OS/platform/distribution channel.
For solvers, I will basically use Calculix. But as per @bernd, there are already examples covering all the analysis types offered by Calculix. So after we are done with generating examples of all the constraints for Calculix, I will work with Elmer's various equation types.
As for Z88, I will see according to the time availability.

For meshers, since FreeCAD (mostly) comes with Netgen in it and Gmsh needs to be externally installed in the system I will use Netgen by default. Maybe if time permits and if it feels necessary, some examples using Gmsh will also be created.