GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (GSOC is over, thanks to everyone involved!)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Submit your Draft proposals by March 31st!)

Post by Zolko »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm
kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm Fingers crossed, both final proposals have been submitted
In the meantime, is there anything in FreeCAD that you could contribute to to show us some of your skills and approach to coding and participation ?
Good idea: what about improving Draft_Array ? It would be really useful if the axis of the Array (linear or radial array) could be a datum Axis (PartDesign::Line). Today, the axis must be specified by coordinates (a vector for the direction and a point for the center) but it should be possible to modify the function to accept a datum axis.

I tried to do that with expressions

Code: Select all

Property Axis:
    Axis_1.Placement.Rotation.Axis
Property Centre:
    Axis_1.Placement.Base

and it sort-of works, but when changing the Placement of Axis_1 the array misbehaves (gets screwed-up). If the Axis could be selected to be an existing datum axis, that would be really great.

array.png
array.png (292.71 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
kryptokommunist

Post by kryptokommunist »

Zolko wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm
kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm Fingers crossed, both final proposals have been submitted
In the meantime, is there anything in FreeCAD that you could contribute to to show us some of your skills and approach to coding and participation ?
Good idea: what about improving Draft_Array ? It would be really useful if the axis of the Array (linear or radial array) could be a datum Axis (PartDesign::Line). Today, the axis must be specified by coordinates (a vector for the direction and a point for the center) but it should be possible to modify the function to accept a datum axis.

Property Axis:
Property Centre:
    Axis_1.Placement.Base

and it sort-of works, but when changing the Placement of Axis_1 the array misbehaves (gets screwed-up). If the Axis could be selected to be an existing datum axis, that would be really great.

array.png
That is a good idea indeed! I opened a separate post in what I hope is the right sub forum to continue the discussion on this issue: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45016
amrit3701

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Result announced)

Post by amrit3701 »

GSoC result announced!

Congratulations @Marcus Ding, @Suraj Dadral and @Sudhanshu Dubey

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 230420480/#!
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

amrit3701 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 pm GSoC result announced!

Thanks @Amritpal and the whole FreeCAD Community!!
:D
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 pm GSoC result announced!

Thanks @amrit3701 and whole FreeCAD Community.
And congrats @Marcus Ding and @Sudhanshu Dubey.

Thanks,
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Zolko wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Property Axis:
Property Centre:
    Axis_1.Placement.Base

array.png
I do not want to be rude but will allow myself to ping bernd because this idea of using datums as support for arrays can be generalized in other areas of FreeCAD where coordinate info still needs to be input manually. Specifically for the different visualization filters of FEM results.
bernd wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 am Ping
Perhaps this way a homogenisation of that particular behavior could be deployed all over FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (3 Students Approved. Congrads to all!)

Post by Kunda1 »

Congrats y'all and to FreeCAD as a whole!.
@kryptokommunist do you mind creating a dedicated thread for your GSoC project so we can follow it separate from this thread?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kryptokommunist

Post by kryptokommunist »

Yay! I'm super happy this got through, so huge thanks to the people who put their time into making this happen :) @Yorik @Kurt thanks for offering to mentor me. And even though the measure tool idea was't selected I will still listen to your advice if you have any for the selected proposal @Zolko :D

Kunda1 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:17 pm Congrats y'all and to FreeCAD as a whole!.
@kryptokommunist do you mind creating a dedicated thread for your GSoC project so we can follow it separate from this thread?
Aye, there you go: Link.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Congrats to all of you @kryptokommunist, @Suraj Dadral and @Sudhanshu! We found your three proposals interesting and solid. I'm glad google gave us the green light! For the rest of you,I'll summarize the three projects here:

A better IPython and Jupyter Notebook Integration for FreeCAD
By @kryptokommunist, mentored by @yorik, @kkremitzki and @ickby
Thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46039

Extended functionality of Rebar Addon
By @Suraj Dadral, mentored by @bernd and @amrit3701
Thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44580

FEM Examples Extension in FreeCAD
By @Sudhanshu, mentored by @bernd, @HoWill and @kkremitzki
Thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44705

@joel_graff also wanted to mentor, but somehow there was a comm hiccup with BRL-CAD people and we got there too late. I propose we add Joel as an additional mentor ourselves to one of the project. Is that ok for everybody? Which project would you like to step on Joel?

BTW, the whole BRL-CAD umbrella got 8 approved projects, 3 for FreeCAD, 2 for BRL-CAD, 2 for OpenSCAD, 1 for libreCAD.

To the three of you, please use the specific thread to discuss your project with us. In FreeCAD, we try to use this forum for GSOC projects as much as possible, because it allows the whole community to interact with you, not only the mentors. Try to post as much as possible there, do not refrain yourself from adding a lot of screenshots, etc. I guarantee you that it can be really rewarding, to see everybody follow your progresses and encourage you. You won't regret it ;) Plus, at the end of the project, it furnishes an awesome logbook.

This thread serves mainly as a general announcement channel, we'll be reminding everybody here (students and mentors) of deadlines, things to do, etc. So please keep always an eye here!

Now, up to June 1st, is what google calls the community bonding period, which basically serves to know each others and help you guys get into FreeCAD and the community. This is usually pretty easy :) Make sure you guys can deal with everything you'll need. I believe only @kryptokommunist will need to compile FreeCAD himself, as his project might involve C++. The two others are full Python projects, right? In any case, I'd ask all of you to make sure you have cloned the FreeCAD source code, have a git account somewhere, and know how to deal with git.

Good luck everybody, don't hesitate to get back to any of us if you meet any problem!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@yorik, I added your post :point_up_2: to the OP for reference :wink:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs