GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (GSOC is over, thanks to everyone involved!)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Submit your Draft proposals by March 31st!)

Post by bernd »

Sudhanshu wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 am For meshers, since FreeCAD (mostly) comes with Netgen in it and Gmsh needs to be externally installed in the system I will use Netgen by default. Maybe if time permits and if it feels necessary, some examples using Gmsh will also be created.
the meshes uses manually by Python created meses ATM. These meshes where exported from a either with Netgen or Gmsh generated mesh. The code to export is not yet in master. I will merge this as soon as some dev starts in this regard. BTW there is a topic on FEM ...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p382470
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

kryptokommunist wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 pm I plan on submitting two GSoC proposals to FreeCAD since I like "A better IPython and Jupyter Notebook Integration for FreeCAD" as well as Zolkos suggestion "Measurement tool for FreeCAD"
I think that the complexity and amount of work are very different in these 2 proposals. The Jupyter Notebook integration is probably orders of magnitude more ambitious than the measurement tool, even though I still believe that a good measurement tool would be a very important addition to FreeCAD, and I'd be very happy to act as a referee for it.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
kryptokommunist

Post by kryptokommunist »

Zolko wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am
kryptokommunist wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 pm I plan on submitting two GSoC proposals to FreeCAD since I like "A better IPython and Jupyter Notebook Integration for FreeCAD" as well as Zolkos suggestion "Measurement tool for FreeCAD"
I think that the complexity and amount of work are very different in these 2 proposals. The Jupyter Notebook integration is probably orders of magnitude more ambitious than the measurement tool, even though I still believe that a good measurement tool would be a very important addition to FreeCAD, and I'd be very happy to act as a referee for it.
The measurement doesn't require so many different technologies at the same time. But certainly also not too easy I think. Here's the draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxe ... sp=sharing
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Students! Less then 24 hours to go before the GSOC deadline ends!)

Post by Kunda1 »

Less than 24 hours to go before the GSOC deadline ends!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am Here's the draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxe ... sp=sharing
I completely agree: if you really can make this happen you're my hero ! And I'm sure the hero of many people using FreeCAD. Go for it ! I will help you as much as I can.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am The measurement doesn't require so many different technologies at the same time. But certainly also not too easy I think. Here's the draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxe ... sp=sharing
First I have to remember that Jee-Bee has the ownership of the first mention of measurements tool in this thread. :)
I don't understand why it should be a statement that this tool has to be written in Python... C++ would be also OK IMO.
kryptokommunist

Post by kryptokommunist »

openBrain wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:30 pm
kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am The measurement doesn't require so many different technologies at the same time. But certainly also not too easy I think. Here's the draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxe ... sp=sharing
First I have to remember that Jee-Bee has the ownership of the first mention of measurements tool in this thread. :)
I don't understand why it should be a statement that this tool has to be written in Python... C++ would be also OK IMO.
That's true, in the proposal it mentions Python-QT, which I actually would prefer since I am more familiar with Python. Maybe I should have stated there that either is fine. I couldn't change it in the final submission, but it is general enough so that this shouldn't be a problem.
Zolko wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:49 pm
kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am Here's the draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxe ... sp=sharing
I completely agree: if you really can make this happen you're my hero ! And I'm sure the hero of many people using FreeCAD. Go for it ! I will help you as much as I can.
Fingers crossed, both final proposals have been submitted :)
Last edited by kryptokommunist on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorik
Founder

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Proposal submission period has ended. Good Luck to all students who submitted proposa

Post by yorik »

Submission period has ended! We have several proposals for FreeCAD, including all that have been mentioned above in this thread. Thanks for submitting, people! Now we'll give or remarks and Google will decide.

Who is not yet a mentor (ie. You are not on the mailing list) and would like to mentor this year, please PM me!
bernd
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2020 has been Green Lit! (Proposal submission period has ended. Good Luck to all students who submitted proposa

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm ... Thanks for submitting, people! Now we'll give or remarks and Google will decide. ...
Yeah thanks for submitting proposals !
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kryptokommunist wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm Fingers crossed, both final proposals have been submitted :)
In the meantime, is there anything in FreeCAD that you could contribute to to show us some of your skills and approach to coding and participation ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs