Lights in FreeCAD

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
furti

Lights in FreeCAD

Post by furti »

I added a Feature to the ArchTexture Workbench that makes it possible to add additional lights to the scene. I create a new topic for this as lights and textures are basically different things.

I implemented two types of lights (Directional Light and Point Light) for now. Spot Light will eventually follow.
lights.png
lights.png (13.8 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
This scene has two additional lights. A blueish directional light from top and a red pointlight next to the cubes.

You can set different properties for the lights, like color and position.
When hiding a light it is turned off. In the "View" Tab of the properties you can hide the geometry of the light separately.
So you can postion the light as needed, and then turn the geometry off to not be disturbed by it.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Lights in FreeCAD

Post by triplus »

Nice addition. Thanks.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Indeed. @furti you are contributing fantastic work to FreeCAD. Thank you!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

furti wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:04 pm I added a Feature to the ArchTexture Workbench that makes it possible to add additional lights to the scene. I create a new topic for this as lights and textures are basically different things.

I implemented two types of lights (Directional Light and Point Light) for now. Spot Light will eventually follow.

lights.png
This scene has two additional lights. A blueish directional light from top and a red pointlight next to the cubes.

When hiding a light it is turned off. In the "View" Tab of the properties you can hide the geometry of the light separately.
So you can postion the light as needed, and then turn the geometry off to not be disturbed by it.
Hi Furti,
thank you so much for your good work.
Please be so kind as to create one or more video tutorials. Please show how to assign materials, bump maps and light, or these light spots. I can use this soon - and I would like to learn it. If possible, please also in German.
Many greetings
Wilfried
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I like it!
Does current v0.19 builds include this feature?

Are shadows already implemented?

Thanks for your work!!
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:32 am
furti wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:04 pm I added a Feature to the ArchTexture Workbench that makes it possible to add additional lights to the scene. I create a new topic for this as lights and textures are basically different things.

lights.png

Hi Furti,
thank you so much for your good work.
Please be so kind as to create one or more video tutorials. Please show how to assign materials, bump maps and light, or these light spots. I can use this soon - and I would like to learn it. If possible, please also in German.
Many greetings
Wilfried
A little later in the day. I just tried it myself and tested the Arch-Texture Workbench. Great, really good what you can do with it.

I know, someone hands me the little finger, someone else wants the whole hand. It would be cool if you could move the Point-Light with Transform.
You see Point Light as a ball, which you can also hide.
Directional Light unfortunately not. Is it still possible somehow?
Then it would be really good, if you could represent a beam, like the light in the blender, so that e.g. an edge or a point can light up directly.

Great praise from my side. That became really good and very useful.
Have only a short insight so far, I will deal more with it.

Many greetings
Wilfried
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Nice improvement, thanks.
iyd2019

Post by iyd2019 »

This is so useful!!

nice...