Mesh Remodel workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Mesh Remodel workbench

Post by TheMarkster »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 am
Kunda1 wrote: ping
Would be possible to add this WB to the FC Addons list?
I'll prepare and submit the PR. I'm just not sure it's ready yet.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Here is a video showing the new recommended workflow. It is to use the sketcher internal tools and links to external geometry to the points. If you want to modify things like circle radius, line lengths, etc., you need to remove all of the links to external geometry in order to apply new constraints. It is not recommended to try to center the sketch to the origin because then the other sketches won't be oriented with it unless you can also center them, too. It is not necessary to remove the external links and reconstrain the sketch unless you want to change the constraints.

phpBB [video]

You can still use the methods shown in the first couple videos, but you might run into some coplanar issues where some of the elements are not on the same plane. I will leave those tools in the workbench for now because they can still be useful at times, for example to create a path for sweeping.

I have some ideas for an automated circle finder.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 am Would be possible to add this WB to the FC Addons list?
Deferring to @yorik Give me the green light and I'll add it.
https://github.com/mwganson/MeshRemodel
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

I don't know the rules for that, but I think, maybe it makes sence to add the workbench to the automatically installed workbenches. I think the work of TheMarkster is very useful for many people. I have often the problem that I got STL files and want to change little things of them and I have no chance to do that.
I mean, FreeCAD, for example, has a Ship or Robot Workbench, which I think almost nobody uses. In contrast to that, a lot more people need a workbench like this.

my2cents :)
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

Nice tool!

It should come as a standard workbench :-)

BR
Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

OK, I will add this since we haven't heard from yorik and he is now officially in vacation.

Edit:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addo ... 5f8b7eda10
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

TheMarkster wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 am This workbench is for helping in remodeling a mesh object into a native FreeCAD object.
Hi, I'm editing the Release notes 0.19 page. I'm including the MeshRemodel workbench.

It would be nice if you could post in this thread a single image that showcases the workbench. It doesn't have to be very complex, but something that attracts potential new users. In the Release notes 0.19 page, go to "Additional workbenches" to see some images used for other workbenches. For example, the image used in the "CurvedShapes Workbench" is quite good, as it shows what it is intended for. The image should have enough resolution, like 600x400 px. Since it will be displayed at 400 px width, we don't want it to be too small and blurry.

In this thread there are various videos, and although I can take images from them I think the quality isn't ideal. A screenshot showing one particular operation would be better.

In the release notes, in the Part Workbench updates, I also added an image for the Part PointsFromMesh command. This image I took from a video. Again, I'd prefer to use another image instead.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Here is a screenshot.
Snip macro screenshot-49877a.png
Snip macro screenshot-49877a.png (86.98 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

TheMarkster wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm Here is a screenshot.
Okay, it's included.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor »

Just wanted to say that I find this Addon awesome and I hope it will stay maintained to keep it compatible with any further versions of FreeCAD to come!

Thank you for this!