[Solved]Black screen by starting first document

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: [Solved]Black screen by starting first document

Post by triplus »

Viky wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:34 pm Hi, I have the same issue. FreeCAD 0.18 is not working via RDP anymore - opening new or existing project shows black screen.
And setting the environment variable, as discussed in this thread, doesn't help?
Viky

Post by Viky »

Yes of course, I set it on both PCs local and remote with no effect. My solution for now is to run Freecad locally on remote PC first and then it works via RDP correctly.
Jonny Tango

Post by Jonny Tango »

This has not been solved..So do I need to change the graphics card or not? or can I download 0.17 which stopped my mouse working when I downloaded a macro. It seems to me I need to be an expert in computers and not just trying to become an expert in Freecad..So come on what do I need to do? May be start a new thread..
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Jonny Tango wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:52 am So do I need to change the graphics card or not?
If the mentioned environment variable doesn't help, and based on the info you provided, the answer is yes.
Build-0-Matic

Post by Build-0-Matic »

Hi!
I know this is an old tread but I was running into the same problem today (it's the first time I install FreeCAD) and I found a solution.
The problem is not with FreeCAD, or QT or Python, it's with the Windows 10 fall update.
How do I know? Well this week I also installed CURA and Meshmixer which both failed on startup.
After searching long and hard, I discovered that the problem also affects various games. The issue is with the opengl32.dll file which seems to contain a bug. So after searching long and hard, I discovered that somebody compiled a version of Mesa3D for the Windows x86 and x64 platforms. Mesa3D is a software renderer for OpenGL. The compiled file takes the form of an opengl32.dll file that you insert in the same folder as the problematic executable. On startup, the exec chooses to use the file that's in the same folder, thus patching the problem.

The issue seems to be mainly with embedded graphics accelerators.

For FreeCAD, just copy the modified opengl32.dll into the Program Files\FreeCAD 0.18\bin folder.
Here is the link to the DLL file.

https://fdossena.com/?p=mesa/index.frag

The file is compiled by Federico Dossena and not me.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

thank you so much @Build-0-Matic. it works for me on virtual machine with window 10, in all versions 0.18 and 0.19 :) :) :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this solution. Excellent that it works for Qt5 as well! I added it to the Known OS specific issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Build-0-Matic

Post by Build-0-Matic »

Glad to help :D
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

Build-0-Matic wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:10 pm Glad to help :D
Thank you very much. Finally I could run Freecad on my pc with intergrated video card.

I found there is an opengl32sw. dll file under the bin folder. I serched the net and think it is from qt project. But the name is a bit weird. So I trid to rename it to normal opengl32. dll, and Freedcad starts and works.

I think, when compile Freecad for window, the linked dll is opengl32. dll. As why its name changed to sw, maybe if it is there, you will use software rendering, no matter if you have hardware 3d accerating power.

So, only when you encounter this can't start problem, which probally means your video card doesn't has hardware 3d acceration, try to remove sw in the filename to use software rendering.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
Russ4262

Re: Black screen by starting first document

Post by Russ4262 »

johnwang wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:00 pm I found there is an opengl32sw. dll file under the bin folder. I serched the net and think it is from qt project. But the name is a bit weird. So I trid to rename it to normal opengl32. dll, and Freedcad starts and works.
Thank you!

This has fixed the windows crash on my older PC that has been occurring for a while now. I had tried the environmental variable fix mentioned here,
wmayer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:43 pm... or alternatively set the environment variable QT_OPENGL to desktop.
, but that only worked for a short while during daily build progressions.

This new renaming of the openglsw.dll file has worked for me also! JSYK, I still have the environmental variable set. I may remove that and report back with the effect after its deletion, while maintaining the opengl library rename here.

A happier FC user now!

Russell
chrisb wrote:@Chrisb
kunda1 wrote:@Kunda1
Can either of you, or another moderator, add this solution, or a link hereto, to the "Known issues page for Windows users"?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19127 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ec18f070d13b195d946c3d955d8c21b2e60550e2
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)