Interlocking modules

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
execuc

Re: Interlocking modules

Post by execuc »

Hello Walter,
Thank you very much for your interest in this module.
Sorry, I don't really have a documentation, just the github page with links to a page description for each tool:

https://github.com/execuc/LCInterlockin ... nerator.md
https://github.com/execuc/LCInterlockin ... locking.md

On youtube, I had made some videos but which are not necessarily up to date but it gives an idea :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFIdLpdWXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIchogx5BLE

I'm running a little out of time to do more documentation.

Best regards
Alexandre
Wondaa wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:20 pm Hello Alexandre, I am new in laser cutting and discovered your amazing plugin. Thank you very much. That was what I was looking for.
If I may ask a question on that: Do you have some documentation somewhere to download? I am working on a mac and unfortunately I can not get a preview with the interlocking module.
Thank you in advance. Great work though.
Regards
Walter

execuc wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm Hello,

My name is Alexandre and I my hobbies are arduino, PCB, 3D printing, laser cut...
I use FreeCAD since several years to make enclosure for my electronic projects but I don't use 3D printing to do it because it takes time to print except for small parts.
I prefer to use laser cutting which is faster and allows to make larger boxes.

In order to make my work easier, I have developed a module for Freecad that allows to create connections between parts from Part/PartDesign workshops. Then, an export tool projects parts on a 2D plan in order to save outlines as Flattened SVG. SVG file is then reworked on Inkscape before being sent in cutting.

An example : Image

Module manages connection of type tab/slots, T-slot joints and crosspiece. It also allows to create rounded corner with living hinges.

Python source code and documentation is on GitHub : https://github.com/execuc/LCInterlocking

If this module corresponds to the freecad philosophy, I would like to propose it as an addon via the FreeCAD addon manager. So do not hesitate to say what you think about it.

Thank you
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Can someone volunteer to create documentation for this ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
alpis

Post by alpis »

Hello everyone. I write to report to you a problem that I have when using the Interlocking Module and that I suspect the function is not yet implemented. I am making a piece of furniture in freecad, with the intention of manufacturing it in a CNC. when I apply the interlocking module I get an error. I suspect it's because the module for variable sizes isn't implemented, I'll take a picture for you to see it and the design in case you want to check it out. Thank you
Attachments
leja.FCStd
(510.04 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Captura de pantalla de 2021-03-30 13-45-01.jpg
Captura de pantalla de 2021-03-30 13-45-01.jpg (157.8 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Separate issue: Looks like you have that transparency bug usually caused by a graphics card issue.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Concerning graphics card issues have a look at the Known OS specific issues, meanwhile there are quite some solutions for various cards.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
reox

Post by reox »

What is currently (FC 0.20) the best method to add (ideally sketcher based) cut-out features on parts generated with this workbench? For example, I created a box with the workbench and then I need some holes on the pieces.

I'm used to PartDesign and the sketcher, but for those Parts, it is not easy to to and I used Sketch -> Extrude -> Boolean Operation instead. However, after a while you have a monster of a dependency graph :D
I built a lasercutting design on the weekend, and even though the workbench is old, it worked pretty well.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

reox wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:45 pm What is currently (FC 0.20) the best method to add (ideally sketcher based) cut-out features on parts generated with this workbench? For example, I created a box with the workbench and then I need some holes on the pieces.

I'm used to PartDesign and the sketcher, but for those Parts, it is not easy to to and I used Sketch -> Extrude -> Boolean Operation instead. However, after a while you have a monster of a dependency graph :D
I built a lasercutting design on the weekend, and even though the workbench is old, it worked pretty well.
Example of file prior to hole creation, plus info on where you want the holes.
dl6lr

Post by dl6lr »

Hi all,

I am new to FreeCad and to this forum. I have used LCInterlocking quite some time and found it very useful.
However execuc seems to currently not enhance the code base. I have forked it and will try to address some issues, I already integrated some open pull requests.

I see two major issues at the moment:

1. Incompability with FreeCad 0.21, a saved and reopened project will throw errors when trying to edit the MultiJoin.
2. All inputs do not have the calculation ability, so we can not use values from spreadsheets

Any hints and help is appreciated. If anyone is willing to contribute, drop me a note.

Bernd