GSOC 2019 Configuration Management Project

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Configuration Management Project

Post by Kunda1 »

Thank you :)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
zach

Post by zach »

Apologies for the poor communication on my project. I have updated my blog on my current progress.

The last three changes to the Linux packaging I'm adding are just finishing up. This is behind schedule by a lot. I will be putting in extra hours to get up to speed on my second phase Windows development.

I have been in contact with sgrogan about the Windows development. We've settled on smoothing out issues with building FreeCAD on Windows with a focus on allowing developers that aren't well versed in packaging to easily contribute. We are looking to find a more streamlined solution to the libpack directory.
GSoC FreeCAD Blog: zachgummow.github.io
zach

Post by zach »

Howdy!

I have finished the procedure for submitting my bug fixes as a patch for the Debian packaging of FreeCAD. The bugs can be found here and here.

In the mean time I've been working with sgrogan on the Windows configuration. We found some improvements that could be made to the Libpack and a summary can be found here.

I have also updated my blog with this information.
zach

Post by zach »

I have finished my changes to the CMakeLists.txt file. It will now only copy the necessary files from the Libpack and set a path for FreeCAD to know where to find the compressed python archive. More details available in my blog.
zach

Post by zach »

Howdy!

I have been in communication with my mentors about my current Libpack project. I have had a few meetings (with one in-person with kkremitzki) discussing the libpack project I will be working on.

However, the first thing is to finalize my CMakeLists.txt changes. Previously I had switched the binary copying function to a function that would create a batch file which would refer to the Libpack directory. sgrogan informed me that there is still a use for copying the binaries and that I should give an option to do so.

The second task is to have the CMakeLists.txt file cause CMake to stop early while configuring if the Libpack is not detected. This should eliminate false negatives when it searches for dependencies that are located in the Libpack. This early stopping will be able to be turned off if the user wishes to have their own directories for the library.

The third task is to have CMake search for the Libpack in some likely directories such as the base directory, one directory up, the C:/ drive, etc. This should allow the user to place the Libpack in a logical location and CMake will be able to auto-detect it's location.

The final task for the last coding period is developing a Powershell tool to manage the Libpack for the user. The tool will search for updated versions and allow them to be downloaded independently from other packages. I will be using the debian/watch file as a reference for version regex.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Why no August updates?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
zach

Post by zach »

Not trying to make excuses but I just seem to lose track of updating the forum/my blog. Neither has been in common usage for me before this project. Mostly my communication and updates have been direct to my mentors.

All CMake objectives have been completed. PowerShell development is going well and I will be able to have a proof of concept ready before the deadline.