FEM Workbench Testing - GSoC Proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
m42kus

FEM Workbench Testing - GSoC Proposal

Post by m42kus »

Hey everyone,

I've submitted a GSoC proposal that aims to improve the quality and reliability of the FEM workbench by introducing a extensive and consistent testing approach and developing a test suite covering the whole FEM module.

It goes by the name FEM Workbench Testing and can be viewed on google docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rid ... sp=sharing. Via this link you also have the right to add comments to the document. I invite everyone to read through the proposal and to leave comments in the document or directly in this topic :)

regards,
Markus
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
HoWil
Veteran

Re: FEM Workbench Testing - GSoC Proposal

Post by HoWil »

Hi Markus,
Congrats for this really well written and clear structured proposal.
Hope to see this topic selected for this years GSoC since I know how easy it is to break things as non professional developer and a Testing-WB would help here tremendous.
BR,
HoWil
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

HoWil wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 pm Hi Markus,
Congrats for this really well written and clear structured proposal.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Hi Markus,

thank you for this proposal. At the moment it is fine for me since it totally fits in the GSoC project we made public on our wiki page. It attracts some very underestimated and often neglected point in software development. This will for sure help FreeCAD FEM to get more stable and reliable.

Cheers bernd
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

In the mentioned test helper functions, do you plan to implement some kind of viewscreen comparison? As FEM is to a big part looking at meshes and result plots it would be helpful to enable tests to check if the on screen view is correct (also as this allows postprocessor tests)? Maybe some kind of picture comparison... not sure if this is trival or hard :)
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

ickby wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am In the mentioned test helper functions, do you plan to implement some kind of viewscreen comparison? As FEM is to a big part looking at meshes and result plots it would be helpful to enable tests to check if the on screen view is correct (also as this allows postprocessor tests)? Maybe some kind of picture comparison... not sure if this is trival or hard :)
I really like the idea of viewscreen comparison because it would test every component along the way. I may even end up doing it although the implementation would not be easy I think and involve a lot of statistic stuff. I think that in most cases though going one step less that is just verifying the inventor scene (or VTK in case of the new style result objects) would be enough and much easier. The step from the Inventor/VTK representation to the screen is the territory of the respecting libraries (VTK and Inventor).
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Hey @m42kus, how's it going? Will you be marking your progress in a blog or log somewhere?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 am Hey @m42kus, how's it going? Will you be marking your progress in a blog or log somewhere?
Hey, yes I will post my progress of course. Since bernd suggested that I'll use this topic I will do that. At the moment I am still quite busy preparing for the last few tests I have that semester but I will post a testing tool survey in the next few days.
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

I just posted the first part of the testing tool survey in the Developers corner: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36515.
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

In addition to this topic I have just set up a devlog on my github pages site: https://ceeli.github.io/gsoc/
I will still post everything I consider noteworthy in this topic. For daily updates on my progress though please use the devlog.