Measure dimension lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ArchiJoe

Measure dimension lines

Post by ArchiJoe »

I am trying to find out how to change the color of the lines generated by the "measure distance" feature. I created an object . When I try to label the dimensions of cuts and lengths and widths, the lines generated by the "measure distance" menu item under "Tools" are of color white which is the same as the color of the copy paper most people use. How do I change the color of the dimension lines to black ?
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Measure dimension lines

Post by NormandC »

Select the "Distance" object(s) in the Model tree and go to the View tab. You'll see "Line Color" and "Text Color" properties you'll be able to change.

But this is just a tool to quickly measure objects in the 3D view, you won't normally print those. What you do is create a drawing page that will contain projected views of your 3D object, using the TechDraw workbench.

Basic TechDraw Tutorial
Juzer99

Post by Juzer99 »

Is there a place to configure the default color picked up by FC?
The out-of-the-box default light green is not very visible. A very dark color would be much better.
Changing line color on every individual distance object is a waste of time.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Juzer99

Post by Juzer99 »

Thanks for the effort, but that was not helpful.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Juzer99 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:02 am Thanks for the effort, but that was not helpful.
Didn't it work or did you look for something else? What did you expect?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Juzer99

Post by Juzer99 »

I was looking for instructions how to change the measure line colours. The link you provided was more like a riddle.
I did get the colours changed, but it took way more time than I expected.
Anyway, thanks again for the effort and your response.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have probably seen meanwhile that these settings can be changed in 0.21 in Preferences->Part Design->Measure.
Juzer99

Post by Juzer99 »

I am reluctant to upgrade. The version I am on works well enough for me and I don't want to risk wasting time in case something goes sideways during the upgrade.
Some mitigation for TopoNaming problem would be a good reason for me to upgrade, but an elegant replacement for a cumbersome line color setting that you set once is not.