Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
igorg

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by igorg »

Hi, I'm unable to insert simple parts (made by Part WB) into assembly. Insert Part dialog window contains no items even if they are loaded. I've tried creating a simple part by PartDesign WB - then Insert Part dialog sees it.
What I'm doing wrong? Those parts created by Part WB have no LCS in them - may it be the cause?
FreeCAD 0.20.2, Assembly4 v0.12.4
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Attaching your full FreeCAD infos may help the helpers.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

igorg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:29 am Hi, I'm unable to insert simple parts (made by Part WB) into assembly.
I bet you didn't use a Part (Std_Part, yellow icon) container
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
igorg

Post by igorg »

Zolko wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:35 am I bet you didn't use a Part (Std_Part, yellow icon) container
I've even created a part in that new assembly (by use of button "New Part") but I don't see any means inserting there (or linking) the real (made before) part that is loaded nearby.
igorg

Post by igorg »

I haven't found any instructions saying that you should create a part in a new assembly and then somehow link to it the already existing part. All tutorials that I've seen are related to importing PartDesign'ed parts or even merely building a new part after creating a new part in assembly.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

igorg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:08 am I haven't found any instructions saying that you should create a part in a new assembly and then somehow link to it the already existing part
That's good news then, because such instructions wouldn't work
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

igorg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:08 am I haven't found any instructions saying that you should create a part in a new assembly and then somehow link to it the already existing part
That's good news then, because such instructions wouldn't work.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

igorg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:29 am Hi, I'm unable to insert simple parts (made by Part WB) ..
Those parts created by Part WB have no LCS in them ...
Assembly4 is working mostly starting from Part Design WB, and creating his parts using a peculiar way.

So probably you must follow a proper tutorial, as mixing objects created using "Part Design WB", with object created using "Part WB" is not always possible.

LCS could be added, but you must follow the proper way using what is advised in Assembly4 tutorials:

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Ex ... ree/master

Sadly first page:

viewtopic.php?p=292576#p292576

Is reporting old links, but the advise on the top of page will direct you on the new place.

@Zolko It will be possible to change links on first post?

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
igorg

Post by igorg »

onekk wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:57 pm with object created using "Part WB" is not always possible.
It's bad because reading Assembly4 instructions you have no idea about some problems with parts made by Part WB.
Here a guy somehow managed to assemble his parts (viewtopic.php?style=1&t=64933) and that post inspired me to try this way.
As I'm a newbe in using FreeCAD it looks like I've chosen may be a wrong way to get it all working.
Should I come over to old good A2Plus?
igorg

Post by igorg »

Well, I've rebuilt my parts (Part WB), now making sure pressing yellow button (New Part) after creating a new documents. And now my parts have origins in them (looking like LCS), and now those parts are seen in Insert Part dialog window. They have weird names for now, but I'm sure to deal with this. And then there comes some trick with coordinates, I need to investigate it more thoroughly.