Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

gabriel.b wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:09 pm When I try to make a BOM, I have the messages:
ASM4 WARNING: Pylib anytree is missing, exportFiles is not available
Some file is missing - please see the attached photo.
yes, BOM is not working very well yet
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:31 pm
gabriel.b wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:09 pm When I try to make a BOM, I have the messages:
ASM4 WARNING: Pylib anytree is missing, exportFiles is not available
Some file is missing - please see the attached photo.
yes, BOM is not working very well yet
Just install anytree. It will work.
gabriel.b

Post by gabriel.b »

Hello Zolko,

Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm pleasantly surprised by your honesty.

Hello leoheck,

Thanks for the tip. I*ll install the anytree.

Kind regards

Gabriel
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Dear Zolko,
The measure-tool in the assembly-4-wb is one of my favorite tools. I usually use it with 'show components' enabled to document distances in my models. Today I wanted to document an area of an face but the area is only written into the Results-field but not shown as 'component' in the 3d-Model.
Is it easily possible to add the area and e.g. volume to the components exported into the 3D model?
BR
HoWil
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

HoWil wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:29 am Is it easily possible to add the area and e.g. volume to the components exported into the 3D model?
yeah, it should not be too difficult. But it's also not very high on the priority list. May I suggest you open an Issue on the WB's GitHub page (see my signature) and describe precisely what you'd like to see ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:19 pm May I suggest you open an Issue on the WB's GitHub page (see my signature) and describe precisely what you'd like to see ?
Done https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... issues/416.
Thanks
beischer

Post by beischer »

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to name parts etc. to get some more structure to the "Insert a Part" dialog box. If you look at the last two in the available parts you might see what I mean. Where do the text "_1_mm_M3_nut_A" come from?
Attachments
freecad-ass4-insert.png
freecad-ass4-insert.png (14.13 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

beischer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 pm Where do the text "_1_mm_M3_nut_A" come from?
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with Assembly4, but you should consider to add a preferably very simple file showing the issue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
beischer

Post by beischer »

chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:05 pm
beischer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 pm Where do the text "_1_mm_M3_nut_A" come from?
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with Assembly4, but you should consider to add a preferably very simple file showing the issue.
I might have found the problem or a bug. The odd names comes from files starting with a nummer in the file name. The assembly is not a problem, just how it is viewed in the dialog box.
PAS_Drafter

Post by PAS_Drafter »

beischer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 pm I might have found the problem or a bug. The odd names comes from files starting with a nummer in the file name. The assembly is not a problem, just how it is viewed in the dialog box.
You are right about that. I had seen that a while back myself that if you name something with a number as the first character, Assembly 4 does not like that for some reason. I've just made it a point not to start with numbers :-)

I've attached a sample file that shows the issue. Notice that when you try to insert the part the list gets messed up.

I've added this to the bug list. #418

InsertPart.png
InsertPart.png (27.69 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Attachments
Naming_Insert_Issue.FCStd
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 20 times