Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:09 am (This is worth spinning off in to a whole other thread, actually)
Yes, and to be honest, perhaps the discussion should continue in a Musescore forum. Sorry, but I don't really get what the animated gif should demonstrate. As many of these gifs it's hard to follow, because it is unknown where it starts or ends, if that has some meaning after all, etc.
There is no need to defend yourself, why you brought this up, of course we should every now and then have a look beyond the end of our own bowl (as we say overhere), but we should just take it as an inspiration and that's it.

Besides how did you upload this 5MB sized file?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:09 am To be fair, he says he likes Musescore but there are some definite improvements to the UI/UX that would make sense.
He makes some very astute UI/UX points and in a comical way. Must of taken a ton of time and energy to create and edit that video.
Yes, it's more of a funny criticism that outright bashing.

IT'S "MUST HAVE" NOT "MUST OF"!#!@#!
FreeCAD could use a lot more of these types of videos. Reminds me of @sliptonic who made a '5 Ways FreeCAD will annoy (the xxxx out of) you' that got a bunch of views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KIa3_dJu8
Actually, you know what would make sense? This dude, Tantacrul, critiquing FreeCAD. I'm certain he would absolutely destroy FreeCAD's design, but given that it's the only free option out there, I'm sure he'd see the merits of it. This would probably be a month's time of research; he'd see other videos, test the software himself, and make detailed analysis of the icons and panels. He'd probably be amazed by the fact that you can create pretty impressive models as well, once he reaches the Users showcase subforum. I wonder if he'd do a funny sketch with Jürgen and Werner, just as he made of Musescore's developer, who incidentally is also called Werner. It seems Werners are popular in free software.

So, Kunda, get to it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm Yes, and to be honest, perhaps the discussion should continue in a Musescore forum.
I'm confused as to why a case-study of another qt5 based application's UI/UX as it compares to FreeCAD is relevant to be posted on Musescore. The agenda is making the FC UI/UX better.
chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm Sorry, but I don't really get what the animated gif should demonstrate. As many of these gifs it's hard to follow, because it is unknown where it starts or ends, if that has some meaning after all, etc.
The title of this forum is 'UI/UX Design'. UX aka User Experience. Gifs in this subforum can be used to convey different User Experiences. I do wish that the free software that I'm using had the capability to indicate when the beginning of the gif starts or have a progress bar. I would use it.

In this case I argue on the side that of any place in the forum, this subforum is most relevant to display animated gifs. And in this case, where we're dealing with a case study all the more relevant, IMHO.

Inkscape folks utilize animated gifs (without indicating start/finish, mind you) to explain their latest feature additions, and I really appreciate that they do this, it helps me understand what the feature actually does than just simply writing it in a changelog:
https://inkscape.org/news/2019/09/08/in ... e-testing/
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... notes/0.92
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php ... notes/0.91

I wish phpbb gave me the control to change the size of the way the gifs are shown, which I would make much smaller and less overwhelming...but unfortunately I can't.
chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm Besides how did you upload this 5MB sized file?

imgur.com (3rd party image hosting)
chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm There is no need to defend yourself
I'm not taking this personally at all. Just expressing a counter-point.
chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm of course we should every now and then have a look beyond the end of our own bowl (as we say overhere), but we should just take it as an inspiration and that's it.
This is the definition of what I was doing, IMO.
vocx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm IT'S "MUST HAVE" NOT "MUST OF"!#!@#!
I bet I make that mistake uncosnciously... need more edumacation
vocx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm Actually, you know what would make sense? This dude, Tantacrul, critiquing FreeCAD. I'm certain he would absolutely destroy FreeCAD's design, but given that it's the only free option out there, I'm sure he'd see the merits of it. This would probably be a month's time of research; he'd see other videos, test the software himself, and make detailed analysis of the icons and panels. He'd probably be amazed by the fact that you can create pretty impressive models as well, once he reaches the Users showcase subforum.
I agree. There would be much to talk smack about when it comes to the FC UI/UX for sure. Then soon after, demonstrate the work of @ppemawm... and observe the awe. I think @ppemawm's signature says it best: "It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
vocx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm I wonder if he'd do a funny sketch with Jürgen and Werner, just as he made of Musescore's developer, who incidentally is also called Werner. It seems Werners are popular in free software.
Thank goodness for our Werner. :pray: :)

An aside, it's interesting how these comic critique clips generate so much buzz. @sliptonic was surprised when he posted his video. He puts out all these clips describing functions of FC and features and cool stuff... but the moment he puts out 5 reasons why people hate FreeCAD...whoosh... "X reasons why Y sucks" clips get more clicks. An interesting aspect of human psychology I guess.
vocx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm So, Kunda, get to it.
You never know...
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:10 pm An aside, it's interesting how these comic critique clips generate so much buzz. @sliptonic was surprised when he posted his video. He puts out all these clips describing functions of FC and features and cool stuff... but the moment he puts out 5 reasons why people hate FreeCAD...whoosh... "X reasons why Y sucks" clips get more clicks. An interesting aspect of human psychology I guess.
Yes, this is known. Negative press is significantly more viral because it generates strong feelings, which good press doesn't.

Here's a funny exercise. How do you fund FreeCAD? Create a channel, monetize the channel, then nitpick the hell out of FreeCAD, take threads from the forum from frustrated users and the like. Then make a 10 minute rant or so, and wait for users to smash that like button and subscribe, and get all that add revenue. Then use that money to pay for developers to fix bugs, for professional design, or just to pay for server costs for the forum, wiki, Travis, etc. Repeat this as necessary to get more money. Don't just burn all the powder in one go; make a series of 20 videos or as many as you can.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

phpBB [video]
We are pleased to announce the latest release of Musescore 3, presented by Martin Keary (aka: Tantacrul): our new Head of Design. This release features multiple interface and workflow improvements that will allow you to compose efficiently.
vocx wrote::bell:
@vocx, the critique guy (clip you shared above) actually became head of Musescore Design :lol: :lol: :lol: :+1:

Edit: https://twitter.com/insanerainmusic/sta ... 7930609664
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:32 am ...
@vocx, the critique guy (clip you shared above) actually became head of Musescore Design :lol: :lol: :lol: :+1:
Damn! I thought you were supposed to hire him to critique FreeCAD next.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This musescore vid is really cool..
Musescore seems to have a fulltime dev tem, right? While we don't there are still some good things to pick... The UI is really neat
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I personal like the layout of lupp...
Don't think it is something for FC (link: http://openavproductions.com/luppp/ )
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

The new musescore4 UI looks awesome
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Musescore 4 has migrated fully to QML
This is a talk given by some of the MS4 devs at FOSSDEM 2020
Accessibility in MuseScore Our experience with Qt and QML

phpBB [video]

Here's tantacrul's staging UI recently shared progress (Feb 1, 2022)
ref: https://twitter.com/Tantacrul/status/14 ... 9269349379
MS4.png
MS4.png (427.81 KiB) Viewed 4020 times