XC, opensource structural engineering FEM code

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: XC, opensource structural engineering FEM code

Post by bernd »

I am not interested to implement a structural input gui as most proprietary structural engineering software has. I would like to save the structural engineering model inside the archtitectural geometry volume model with the structural axis and faces and the needed engineering properties. See last post.

Means I would like to go the BIM way.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Have you done building structure analyses with OpenSees already? What software do you use to mesh if you analyes a building structure in OpenSees?

This is one main problem I still struggeling with if it comes to more complex building structures and open source FEM. Imagine a multi storey building where each floor is different.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 am Also, earlier you asked about 'IMHO', it just means 'in my humble opinion'.
Thanks alot.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:34 am I am not interested to implement a structural input gui as most proprietary structural engineering software has. I would like to save the structural engineering model inside the archtitectural geometry volume model with the structural axis and faces and the needed engineering properties. See last post.

Means I would like to go the BIM way.
I am not very familier with BIM, but I think it is the best solution and agree with you
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 am Have you done building structure analyses with OpenSees already? What software do you use to mesh if you analyes a building structure in OpenSees?

This is one main problem I still struggeling with if it comes to more complex building structures and open source FEM. Imagine a multi storey building where each floor is different.
yes, but those did not contain mesh . commonly i use beam-column element. but as i know OpenSees has Mesh and Block command for mesh generation, although i think it is not usefull for complex shapes. I have found this usefull module that generates nodes and elements for opensees from .geo and .msh file extension.
as i search for mesh i found STKO. it is very interesting!! although it is commericall.
Last edited by ebrahim raeyat on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 am if you have been working with linux I would suggest to give xc a try before you gone start to developing your own opensees based software.

Havw you been playing with FreeCAD FEM already, just to get into it?

Arch WB is volume driven, structural engineering analysis worldwide is structural axis and midface driven. In Arch WB we started to implement these axis and faces for walls and structures, but it still needs some love to work on most use cases. This is why Arch and FEM are not yet connected in FreeCAD.

Furthermore CalculuiX has no real beam elements and has some problems with them. Means it is not really good suited for structural analyses.

Thus Iam very interested in xc. Ahh and it already implements swiss national standars stuff.
1- I have manjaro and ubuntu linux, i will try xc on ubuntu.
2- I didn't work with FEM, but i don't want to analyse structure with FEM workbench. I want to build .tcl files for opensees to be analysed with opensees and then i read outputs and show the results. in fact i want using freecad for pre and post processing not for analysing. i use opensees for analysing.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 pm 2- I didn't work with FEM, but i don't want to analyse structure with FEM workbench. I want to build .tcl files for opensees to be analysed with opensees and then i read outputs and show the results. in fact i want using freecad for pre and post processing not for analysing. i use opensees for analysing.
Ahh ok. What would you gone use for meshing, what do you use for meshing ATM.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 pm Ahh ok. What would you gone use for meshing, what do you use for meshing ATM.
I don't know if i can use gmsh for meshing. but truly I don't know for what element we need meshing?

do you mean for shear wall and slabs or foundations?
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

I also need to read this doc that is about fluid mesh with opensees. it uses mesh command.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm
bernd wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 pm Ahh ok. What would you gone use for meshing, what do you use for meshing ATM.
I don't know if i can use gmsh for meshing. but truly I don't know for what element we need meshing?

do you mean for shear wall and slabs or foundations?
You do structural analysis with the FEM software OpenSees? AFAIK you will need to mesh your geometry! Thus it is an interesting point which mesher do you use to mesh your geometry ATM? Or do you have not yet analysed structures in OpenSees? Or does OpenSees has its own mesher?