Basic TechDraw Tutorial

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Peter_D

Re: Basic TechDraw Tutorial

Post by Peter_D »

Thank you very much!

The way you described it works for me too.
I downloaded the file from the turorial:
Before You Begin

Download the sample file from the Part Design tutorial.
This one has 141,2 KiB, the one on github has 47,9 KiB and works. The former should be replaced by the latter to avoid confusion.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

I think I had the same issue once -- when I right-clicked and saved a link as a file. That downloaded the web page which might explain the bigger file size. I agree the tutorial could be more clear there.
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
Peter_D

Post by Peter_D »

Exactly! The file we downloaded was a <!DOCTYPE html> (the web page), but has the same name as the correct file.
wakyct

Post by wakyct »

I edited the link in the tutorial so now people will download the sample file directly, I think this behavior more closely matches what the tutorial text is telling the user to do.
What does that word mean in FreeCAD? Look in the Glossary.
Drf5n

Post by Drf5n »

Note 2 on the bottom of https://wiki.freecad.org/Basic_TechDraw_Tutorial#Notes says:

> This drawing was produced in v0.18. It shows dimensions in the proper format for an isometric view. In v0.17 the extension lines will be perpendicular to the edge rather than aligned with the axes.

I'm using v0.20.1, and the dimension lines show up perpendicular to the edge rather than aligned with the Y axis. Is there an option I'm missing?

ETA: In Combo View I could choose the dimension and it's Data tab and then adjust Override to Angle Override: true, Line Angle: -30.00°, Extension Angle: -150.00° to force it like the image in the tutorial. Is that the right way to do it, or is there something else in v0.18+ that makes doing this more straightforward?