Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jp-willm
Veteran

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by jp-willm »

THANKS !
I had found this page, but I don't see anything about the aforementioned settings window...
Because it is not yet translated into French. :mrgreen:
Last edited by jp-willm on Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jp-willm wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:13 pm THANKS !
I searched for an hour on Google and in the wiki and couldn't find this page.
You're welcome. I had checked Sketcher NewSketch and found in the first few lines the link to the PartDesign variant.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jp-willm
Veteran

Post by jp-willm »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:18 pm You're welcome. I had checked Sketcher NewSketch and found in the first few lines the link to the PartDesign variant.
I thought that this wiki page is not yet translated into French and I didn't think to read it in English.
But no, it does exist in French. :oops:
jp-willm
Veteran

Post by jp-willm »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:18 pm You're welcome. I had checked Sketcher NewSketch and found in the first few lines the link to the PartDesign variant.
I'm stupid: it was enough to click on "?" (shift+F1) then on the "Create a sketch" icon. :(
Sorry for the noise. :oops:
lnielsen

Post by lnielsen »

I am a brand new user of FreeCAD and the tutorial really helped. My one comment is with construction geometry, the tutorial says to change the mode but it does not say how to tell which mode you are in. Please add a sentence stating that construction mode is blue and that the menu icons will change color showing the mode.

Thanks for creating the tutorial
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

lnielsen wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:50 pm the tutorial says to change the mode but it does not say how to tell which mode you are in. Please add a sentence stating that construction mode is blue and that the menu icons will change color showing the mode.
The tutorial by chrisb ? But it is stated there:

Construction geometry comes in blue color to distinguish it from what I will call here "real" or "normal" geometry, which comes in white.
If nothing is selected and you click toggle-construction-mode-icon , all icons for creating geometry turn to blue and you enter construction mode.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks NewJoker for jumping in!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KRinAZ

Post by KRinAZ »

Thanks for this Chris! I have just discovered this tutorial.

I have always drafted (on actual paper) my hacks and designs, I recently (finally) started learning CAD via FreeCad so I could design parts to print on my 2 (recently) custom built 3D printers. Learning by trial and error in FreeCAD is tough and I'm going to absolutely consume this tutorial - just what I needed! - then I'll understand just why those constraints attempts just won't take haha.
I had always just not liked drafting / designing in other CAD programs, FreeCAD is the first one I can "get" and be productive in.

I just have to throw this in - I've seen in this thread where folks mention the old computer systems they used - my first system was an ancient Honeywell mainframe with donut memory (yes that's really a thing, or was anyway) and no actual storage - disks and mag tape weren't around yet - so real time only and with 3 levels of redundancy (3 full mainframes running in parallel as a single fault tolerant node, any two could completely fail and the system wouldn't miss a beat). I was a subject matter expert on that system and trained all the new recruits on it, and was the go to operator when using it mattered most. Ah the days..., but I have massivly digressed...

So I see this tutorial is for version 0.19, do you know if there are maintainers or efforts to take it forward to 0.21 and beyond? Seems like that would be a lot to ask of one person (namely you!). I think I'm currently too green to be much help but as I learn I'd be glad to pitch in. Apologies if that's already answered in previous posts, at 30 something pages I didn't read through all of this thread...

Anyway, thanks again, this must have been a massive effort, and Well Done!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

KRinAZ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:51 am So I see this tutorial is for version 0.19, do you know if there are maintainers or efforts to take it forward to 0.21 and beyond?
I'm currently updating it. It's difficult, because there are possibly more changes to come before version 1.0.