Use European standard in switzerland

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HarryvL
Veteran

Re: Use European standard in switzerland

Post by HarryvL »

You're right. If they fill the gap later with grout (with density 2.0-2.5 times that of water) then the pressure is even higher.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

But your wall is not that long. If it would be 20 meters long it is imaginable. But on this system the water would just run besides the walls and run out ouf your system ... Thus the pressure can not build up to 500 kN ...

What we did when I was in Zweisimmen with retaining walls, we made unloading holes (Entlastungsbohrungen).

bernd

BTW cool project thomas, did you use FreeCAD for some drwaings for the project you gave to Swisscom?
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

bernd wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 pm What we did when I was in Zweisimmen with retaining walls, we made unloading holes (Entlastungsbohrungen).

BTW cool project thomas, did you use FreeCAD for some drwaings for the project you gave to Swisscom?
Unloading holes, perfect idea. No rock anchors :)
Swisscom is not our direct customer. Swisscom instruct Acians-Switzerland, thy instruct
Axians Germany and they instruct me. I did only 1 drawing (techdraw), but I made tons
of screenshots for the CAD-worker at axians. The problem is, that axians must deliver
all plans in native dwg-Autocad format. The complete layer-structure is predefined, also what colours
to be used, text fonts, line thickness and, and, and...
Another problem is, that the CAD-workers have absolutely no experience with 3D-CAD.
This is the pilot-project for Swisscom, we cant fu.. up. :D
Freecad is perfect for this project. From the Geotechnician we got the terrain profile as 3D-dxf,
which i imported in FC (the red polygons).
terrain_dxf.JPG
terrain_dxf.JPG (153.04 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

In the import dialog is only an option for 2D-dxf. But 3D-dxf worked for me.
As seen in top view, the points are not in plane. The yellow point at x,y,z=0
is the reference point, where the geotechnician positioned his laser-scanner.
top_view.JPG
top_view.JPG (146.9 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Why is 3D-CAD better?
The terrain profile in the 2D drawing is wrong.
It is impossible to show the rising terrain. But thats the point here.
It is easy to check the reinforcement.
2D_drawing.JPG
2D_drawing.JPG (178.54 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
rebars_mast.JPG
rebars_mast.JPG (312.6 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
vsharma.next

Post by vsharma.next »

thschrader wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:10 pm Finally I got the correct dimensions of the mast-foundation and
the concrete-housing of the electronics-components (blue cube).
There is a 5 cm gap between the mast-foundation and the concrete-housing to ensure
"static-decoupling". When I have the correct loading of the earth-pressure, lets do a FEM-run.
The steel-construction (without gratings) is a protection against falling ice/stones.
isometrie.JPG
iso2_fem.JPG
Hello Thomas, I somehow stumbled across this thread because I need to do exactly the same profiles for project. Are the 2d drawings also created in Freecad ? How did you do that !?

This thread is 5 years old I know, but perhaps, if you are still lurking around - could you give me some pointers ?!

Many many thanks in advance.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

vsharma.next wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:53 am Hello Thomas, I somehow stumbled across this thread because I need to do exactly the same profiles for project. Are the 2d drawings also created in Freecad ? How did you do that !?
The drawings on p.1 are done with AutoCAD, the drawing on p.2 (the housing) was
done with the Techdraw-wb in FreeCAD.

We are in the antenna business and all of our customers demand native AutoCAD dwg-files from us.
The dwgs for the customers are all in 2D.

You can do this:
Design your project in FreeCAD.
Export your (steel-) parts as a step file. This step can be read by Advance-steel,
which one of my colleagues uses. He can derive the 2D-plans from the imported step.

Or:
Make 2D-drawings from your parts in the Techdraw workbench, right click on page and export the drawing as a 2D-dxf.
This can be imported in AutoCAD light (which most of my colleagues uses) for further planning.

Keep in mind that drawing the rebars in the mast-foundation in Techdraw is computing intensive.

Regards Thomas.
vsharma.next

Post by vsharma.next »

Many thanks for the tips thomas !

Just to give you some context - I am actually coming from the geospatial, atmospheric physics and computer graphics world ( strange combination I know, such is my life :D) . Somehow, I am designing a 50 MW solar PV installation in the Swiss Alps spread over 0.5 km2. In switzerland, we are supposed to submit the Schematische Längs- und Querschnitte as you are well aware. You did that for this project ! Just that my longitudinal and transverse profiles are 500 m long :D

Unbelievably, or due to lack of my experience, the hardest thing for me is not the radiation modelling, energy modelling, optimization, etc etc , but simply getting annotated 2d blueprints "programmatically" :shock:.

Finally, I am creating my 2d dxf files in python using ezdxf and will use techdraw only to annotate by hand and print files as you suggest.

I am actually a bit amazed by how disconnected GIS and CAD tools are. I took courses in computational geometry. But in the applied sense, the worlds are different. Again, this could simply be my inexperience.

I will use FreeCAD more - lets see. I think there is a big opportunity to unite geometrical representations across scales and concerns in FC, a la civil 3d
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

vsharma.next wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 am ...
I am actually a bit amazed by how disconnected GIS and CAD tools are.
Thats a huge problem.
How to get a smooth CAD-model from (huge) point clouds automatically?
At the moment you must reconstruct the shape by hand using splines, small example:
viewtopic.php?t=74839&start=10

Geo-example:
In germany you can download geodata as point clouds from the government server:
https://www.lvermgeo.sachsen-anhalt.de/de/dgm2.html

What you see is a point cloud from the "Bodetal"-dam in central germany.
Point distance 2m. In the xyz-file the coordinates are given in m, FC works (for me) in mm.
First step is to open the pointcloud with Cloudcompare, recenter/rescale model to mm.
In FC you cant scale the pointcloud, it is one object in the model-tree.
Then open it in FC. But for further CAD-modelling the pointcloud alone is
useless, you can only use it as a background.
bodetalsperre.JPG
bodetalsperre.JPG (148.26 KiB) Viewed 834 times
vsharma.next wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 am I will use FreeCAD more - lets see.
You are welcome... :)
vsharma.next

Post by vsharma.next »

Aah - for DEMs, I convert it to a triangular mesh, save it in stl format and then use it FC - but again, only for visualization. I am going to write a simple code in python to get preliminary steel designs for mounting structures. I have 2 constraints, panels lower edge must be 3 meters above terrain and the panels are at 50 degree tilt. That is it. But ofcourse, this is easier said than done.

Thanks Thomas for your interest :)

Are you focussed ONLY on antennas or can you design steel structures / frames :) ? you want to ? :D :D