Silk: a NURBS workbench

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
emills2

Silk: a NURBS workbench

Post by emills2 »

i had so much stuff in my current repo that i figured it would be good to trim it down for a workbench. So here is the new repo for the workbench. I call it Silk, and the underlying library is now called ArachNURBS.

Silk_Demo_02.png
Silk_Demo_02.png (221.63 KiB) Viewed 11079 times
Installation should be a simple matter of cloning the repo to your FreeCAD user Mod folder.

The only real functional change compared to the old repo is that the object display properties are automatically set to something i find reasonable.

on the Silk page there is a link to the old project with the old tutorials. All the old tutorials are still valid, if you skip the setup phase, and all the instructions about colors and display modes.

Silk provides very granular objects and clean parametric linking between these objects. At this time there is no built in object nesting, and high level objects need to be fed pre-existing lower level objects. NURBS have a vertical learning curve anyway you go about it, and i hope Silk can be a ladder for that vertical slope.
Last edited by emills2 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: i made a workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

Sweet screenshot!
Can you add this WB to https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
emills2

Post by emills2 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:11 am Sweet screenshot!
I think so...i believe there are already some gpl workbenches on that list. What do i need to do to submit it?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

emills2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 am
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:11 am Sweet screenshot!
I think so...i believe there are already some gpl workbenches on that list. What do i need to do to submit it?
Open an issue on that repo asking yorik to add it
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
emills2

Post by emills2 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:31 am Open an issue on that repo asking yorik to add it
submitted
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This topic with it's interesting workbench might find more readers if you name it appropriately, something like "New NURBS workbench". You can rename your first post to change it.
A moderator might move it to the "Feature Announcements" forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

good progress! Maybe you can add a .gitignore (eg. https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/CADExc ... .gitignore) file to not upload the .pyc files.

to apply it: (copied from 2. post here:
- first add a .gitignore

Code: Select all

git rm -r --cached .
git add .
git commit -m ".gitignore is now working"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice to see your work was turned into a workbench. As it substantially reduces the barrier to test/use it. Note that you use \ in icon path and that won't work on Linux.

Code: Select all

.FreeCAD/Mod/Silk/Resources/Icons\ControlPoly4.svg
And i agree .pyc files should be removed.

P.S. Looking forward to see progress. Unfortunately there isn't a section on the forum dedicated to workbenches not included in FreeCAD by default. There where suggestion to have that in the past but likely the whole situation wasn't matured enough yet. I am sure it will come some day. Therefore for now Python scripting and macros section likely makes the most sense. And the current thread title likely needs to improve. :)
emills2

Post by emills2 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 am name it appropriately
ok
looo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 amadd a .gitignore
ok
triplus wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm\ in icon path
done. i hope. it's the second time i go to fix that ;) .
triplus wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm for now Python scripting and macros section likely makes the most sense
Agreed, and that's why i specifically posted here.

Thanks for the suggestions and bug reports!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Silk: a NURBS workbench

Post by PrzemoF »

Is there any video showing how to use the Silk workbench? I'm struggling to create anything :oops:
I want to use it to make a kayak hull: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23971