Architecture work in FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Post by bitacovir »

ragohix769 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:20 pm I think this is a cool thread, pity it's dead till 2019. So now it can be up :-)

If anyone has some real Architecture/Engineering draw work made in FreeCAD please post it and share here, even as a showcase.
FreeCAD 0.19 (2020)
800px-H844tqgd92gv.jpg
800px-H844tqgd92gv.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
jrn5rwuo4xxk.png
jrn5rwuo4xxk.png (260.11 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
6s2kbyz8a8jp.png
6s2kbyz8a8jp.png (245.53 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Repository of FreeCAD files: https://github.com/bitacovir/140m2-House

More FreeCAD projects...
https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... w_Examples
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

bitacovir wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:39 pm ...
So cool!

Thanks for sharing! :D
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
regis

Post by regis »

ragohix769 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:20 pm I think this is a cool thread, pity it's dead till 2019. So now it can be up :-)

If anyone has some real Architecture/Engineering draw work made in FreeCAD please post it and share here, even as a showcase.
:D Not dead bro, just dozing off seasonally.
here is something i've been working on. A small historical reconstruction of a Hydro Dam.
Attachments
Snipaste_2024-04-20_23-37-48.png
Snipaste_2024-04-20_23-37-48.png (213.17 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Snipaste_2024-04-14_23-20-16.png
Snipaste_2024-04-14_23-20-16.png (135.36 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Snipaste_2024-04-11_13-40-20.png
Snipaste_2024-04-11_13-40-20.png (239.48 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Snipaste_2024-04-11_13-26-17.png
Snipaste_2024-04-11_13-26-17.png (228.3 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Snipaste_2024-04-22_17-47-13.png
Snipaste_2024-04-22_17-47-13.png (26.68 KiB) Viewed 280 times
regis

Post by regis »

bejant wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:13 pm I've been playing around with some framing...
20190316c.png
This looks amazing, would be interested to see your process on how you acheive this.
regis

Post by regis »

johnwang wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:13 am
regis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 pm Alright here is the final output.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2k4byuo6vz5o ... FCStd?dl=0
Great work.

Could I suggest adding a few more dimensions:

For the horizontal, great to have lead dimension and openning dimensions. One more line for wall thickness and room size is a plus.

On the elevation, what is the ceiling height and overhang? I'd like to have pitch angle directly.

Given all these, a builder can build that shed for you.

Regards,

John
Thanks for the suggestion, I think the current state of freecad can pull that off, i remember how i used to get frustrated with the tedious output of freecad's 2D documenting at the time. But it seems from what i've tested and seen, it is much capable now. As for the design orientation you are suggesting, yes from a fun prupose, it should be interesting to do you suggestions, but I was the lead architect for that small project so i could not make design desitions, it was the General contractor who decided what he wanted and how he wanted to build it. In anycase, i've lost my dropbox, so i don't have the file anymore, wich could have been a good file for testing new features though.
regis

Post by regis »

bitacovir wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:39 pm 6s2kbyz8a8jp.png (245.53 KiB)
Repository of FreeCAD files: https://github.com/bitacovir/140m2-House
I like your 2d output and especially the elevations and siding hatch you were able to pull off on the .19 version.
regis

Post by regis »

I would like to come to thank the freecad community for their relentless effort to make freecad a state of the art program for 3d modeling and precisely for architectural modeling. It has improved a great deal, is more stable than before, and i was able to push it to see how far it can handle fairly sizeable projects when it comes to modeling.
Certainly the design workflow could be improved in may aspects, but I can confidently say that Freecad has effectively attained a level of maturity that of which we can already do large scale proffessional quality projects with confidence.
Snipaste_2024-04-22_17-47-13.png
Snipaste_2024-04-22_17-47-13.png (26.68 KiB) Viewed 179 times
That being said, I want to present to you this project that i've been working on for a bit in the last couple weeks, it's a historical building of a dam structure that I think was built sometime in the early 1900's. This project was a mix of architectural and engineering processes. It posed a vareity of challenge to reproduce it because on one hand there were missing blue prints that made it hard to have all the elements and details required, but on the second hand, it required a different modeling approach than what is generally thought about from an architectural designer mindset.

So this is was very interesting as it demonstrates freecad's capababilities to be flexible depending on the industry and the requirement, which is a huge advantage when compared to other dedicated cad prorams. It can do the work of Autocad, Inventor and Revit all at the same time, which is an amazing thing to be able to acheive. So once again thank you for the work done by this community.

The next challenge will be to see how it handles large scale construction documenting. Based on the current up to date that i've been doing especially checking out the draft workbench and Techdraw, so far it seems it can do some documenting very well. So the left will be seen to see how it handles large files, and how the changes made on the main drawing loads and updates on the documents aswell. But this is for a later date in time.

But for it's current capabilities, what I think should be great to lay down consistently is the workflow process and organisation that will allow freecad to be quick, fast, load easily when doing documentation. This requires a sound understanding of how to approach the modeling aspect 1st from an architectural mindset, and seconding from an engineering mindset. I have already spotted some of these fantastic instances when modeling this project, especially with the Sketcher workbench and the ability to always change/swap the base model/shape once it's been updated. But Fantastic progress.

One last thing to mention, drawing with image references is now very smooth, import of images on planes, scaling them, and working with them is so much better now and it can handle many images without crashing. This is amazing.
Attachments
Snipaste_2024-04-22_17-45-50.png
Snipaste_2024-04-22_17-45-50.png (45.38 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Snipaste_2024-04-22_23-42-43.jpg
Snipaste_2024-04-22_23-42-43.jpg (577.82 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Snipaste_2024-04-22_23-59-52.png
Snipaste_2024-04-22_23-59-52.png (648.26 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Snipaste_2024-04-22_23-41-11.png
Snipaste_2024-04-22_23-41-11.png (939.87 KiB) Viewed 179 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Amazing work @regis.

Any comments if you would do this in BlenderBIM or other applications?
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:40 pm Amazing work @regis.

Any comments if you would do this in BlenderBIM or other applications?
Yes Blender Bim can also handle this project, although in a slightly different way with a slightly different modeling, but have strenght and weakness relative to each other. BlenderBim strenght here will be when it comes to creating types, like wall types, window types that can be reused easily, that can be imported into another blenderbim file and reused. So if you define a wall type, a wall with xyz properties, you can store it. Or a window, or a door, this gives you the ability to build a catalogue of reusable objects of time. To the best of my knowledge i haven't yet seen Freecad do that, maybe it currently does, and i just havent gotten to it yet, maybe it does and it's not yet straight forward. So BlenderBim handles that very well.

Freecad's strenght on the other hand has it's strenght in tools like the Sketcher workbench and the Techdraw workbench, and can work independently from Inkscape to do sheet editing and manipulation. Freecad cad has two sketch base modeling approach, 1 with the sketcher and 1 with normal draft tools. Sketcher is a powerful tool as it allows to control and define base objects elements and keep the constrained. BlenderBim doesn't have that kind of capacity yet to the best of my knowledge.

Now when it comes to documentation, blenderbim has gained new documentation tools and abilities.which does make it very good to create basic documentations, but freecad has also improved there quite alot, so the difference i see is where freecad is a bit advantageous is that the documenatation tools are directly accessible in the 3D view and can be used as modeling aid. In blender not so quite, each draft/domentation tool stays locked in it's view (which is good for organisational purpose), but is weak in terms of the overall modeling experience which is quite strange for a heavy 3d view port modeling experience that is blender. but i'll emphasise that both are good and useful, there areas that expedient to model in blender bim vs freecad, and vice versa. So in my opinion a good translation of blender objects into nurbs that freecad understands well, and freecad to blender, is going to be the key. For example, lets say you want to model a shape like a water closet or a sink for better representation on plan, this is better done in Freecad, and if this can be exported and appropriately converted in blender that would magestic. Or let's say you take advatage of blender's parametric modeling and do quick and fast ideation during the creative process and design (which is where blender's strenght lies, not so much freecad which is good when you have narrowed down the design decision you will go with) then you transfer it into freecad do extra manipulation, extract shapes, etc, bring it back to blender, etc etc, this back and forth process could be mighty huge. For example, what is good with blender is that everything is like a face shape linked by vertices, each of these vertices when exported to Freecad now provide snapping points/guides for modelling. Anyways, i went on a tangential pouring of thoughts but i'm trying to say, Freecad and Blender can be excellent team mates.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks @regis for detailed comments.

Trying to understand 'type' in ifc, how does it differ fro,m e.g.
a Clone or Link of a Window? Or a variant of Window using same Base Sketch but with e.g different Frame thickness.

What is Wall type ?

Do you use similar concept in your FC model ?

Thanks