Interesting project: DesignSPHysics fluid simulator

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

ndrs

Re: Interesting project: DesignSPHysics fluid simulator

Post by ndrs »

Steban wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm HII! i´m new here, please i need help...
Basically i dont can run my simulation... when i click on Run (CPU option) Error window say

Hi Steban. Your problem resides in fluid not being created. For what it's seen in your screenshot it seems that water is correctly defined and added. Did you Save and generate GenCase before executing? (In the dropdown Save menu, Clicking on Save and execute GenCase).

If it's right and you did it, check out the vtk files created by GenCase with a software like paraview to see how your case is transformed into particles. You should find the case without water, based on that error. I don't know the reason why, though.

BTW, I'm not the mantainer of DesignSPHysics anymore, but I'll keep helping over here whenever is possible.
DesignSPHysics developer and DualSPHysics mantainer.

DesignSPHysics Repo
DualSPHysics Repo
DualSPHysics Reference
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

ndrs wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm BTW, I'm not the mantainer of DesignSPHysics anymore, but I'll keep helping over here whenever is possible.
hey @ndrs
Who is the new maintainer? Also can you please make them aware of https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30624
Thank you in advance!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ndrs

Post by ndrs »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:54 pm
ndrs wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm BTW, I'm not the mantainer of DesignSPHysics anymore, but I'll keep helping over here whenever is possible.
Who is the new maintainer? Also can you please make them aware of https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30624
She's starting to work on DesignSPHysics right now, this week, so I'll guide her a bit to catch on. I'll update this thread and the one that you linked once she's confortable with its new workplace and has their university email. For now I'll continue to answer mails with doubts and issues.

Also, we changed the github location so I'll see if I can open a PR to fix the reference on FreeCAD-addons.

DesignSPHysics Repo
DualSPHysics Repo
DualSPHysics Reference
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

ndrs wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:54 pm
She's starting to work on DesignSPHysics right now, this week, so I'll guide her a bit to catch on. I'll update this thread and the one that you linked once she's confortable with its new workplace and has their university email. For now I'll continue to answer mails with doubts and issues.

Also, we changed the github location so I'll see if I can open a PR to fix the reference on FreeCAD-addons.
Oh ok! Thank you. Just let me know the new Github location here and I'll change it on the Add-ons repo directly. ;) Maybe you can ask the new maintainer if she is interested to introduce herself here to the FC community?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ndrs

Post by ndrs »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:07 pm Oh ok! Thank you. Just let me know the new Github location here and I'll change it on the Add-ons repo directly. ;) Maybe you can ask the new maintainer if she is interested to introduce herself here to the FC community?
Sure!

Now the project is in https://github.com/DualSPHysics/DesignSPHysics as having it in my account was a little strange.

And of course I'll tell her, there are a lot of things that she has to learn and adapt to so expect it when she feels ready haha.

DesignSPHysics Repo
DualSPHysics Repo
DualSPHysics Reference
Steban

Post by Steban »

ndrs wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm
Steban wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm HII! i´m new here, please i need help...
Basically i dont can run my simulation... when i click on Run (CPU option) Error window say

Hi Steban. Your problem resides in fluid not being created. For what it's seen in your screenshot it seems that water is correctly defined and added. Did you Save and generate GenCase before executing? (In the dropdown Save menu, Clicking on Save and execute GenCase).

If it's right and you did it, check out the vtk files created by GenCase with a software like paraview to see how your case is transformed into particles. You should find the case without water, based on that error. I don't know the reason why, though.

BTW, I'm not the mantainer of DesignSPHysics anymore, but I'll keep helping over here whenever is possible.

Hi, thanks, thats the problem, i prove again with all the elements selected and the simulation its ok, but now, my problem is the visualization on freecad, i watch the simulation in paraview but its posible watch on freecad?

thanks for your help :)
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Steban wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:55 pm i watch the simulation in paraview but its posible watch on freecad?
Import some surface_xxx.vtk series from your dualsphysics output folder into Freecad.
Use Import with FEM Result vtk option.
Activate the FEM workbench.
Doubleclick on every surface and adjust Mode to „surface with edges“
Create a new group.
Move all surfaces into the group an hide them.
Click on Group in model-tree, run the MovingMesh macro
(rename txt to MovingMesh.FCmacro)
In line 17 of the macro you can adjust the speed.
MovingMesh_FCMacro.txt
(909 Bytes) Downloaded 125 times
dambreak.gif
dambreak.gif (390.47 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
Steban

Post by Steban »

thschrader wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:34 pm
Steban wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:55 pm i watch the simulation in paraview but its posible watch on freecad?
Import some surface_xxx.vtk series from your dualsphysics output folder into Freecad.
Use Import with FEM Result vtk option.
Activate the FEM workbench.
Doubleclick on every surface and adjust Mode to „surface with edges“
Create a new group.
Move all surfaces into the group an hide them.
Click on Group in model-tree, run the MovingMesh macro
(rename txt to MovingMesh.FCmacro)
In line 17 of the macro you can adjust the speed.
MovingMesh_FCMacro.txt
dambreak.gif

Thank you!!!
Steban

Post by Steban »

thschrader thanks a lot for your help, one more question :oops: , how do you make the simluation with changeable colors and good definition?
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

I havent change the colours.
I used the original output files from my old (and saved) dambreak case.
Try it with the original Surface_0009.vtk.
After doing the settings in Result display options, my GUI freezes.
Right click in GUI, „fit all“ breaks the silence.
BTW: the imported surfaces are scaled down by factor of 1000.
Dont forget to activate the FEM-wb.
Surface_0009_vtk.txt
(190.56 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
I am running
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14575 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a624fee2c27bbbb869df6a8ce40438953a282a8c
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7